Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Last night I got around to taking apart the wheel bearings. I had looked around on the forum and internet and hadn't found much in the way of pictures or instructions on how to take them apart. So.. here are some pictures of me taking mine apart. I thought it was interesting and hopefully the pictures will be useful for people like me who haven't taken bearings apart before.

I had two different versions of the same bearing. One is marked skf and one says h. riv? not sure what the brand is.

So weapons of choice here were a really small flat head, an X-acto knife with the tip broken off and the blade dulled, and a larger flathead for popping the seal out of the outside groove (the seals of the two bearings were different and one was quite stiff/difficult to pop out). I used the knife and screwdriver at the same time, pulling the seal away from the metal with the thin knife and slipping the screwdriver under the seal behind the knife. After that you can slip in an appropriately sized screwdriver for popping out the seal from the outside groove. I experienced a small amount of deformation in the seal when getting it out but was able to just bend it back straight with my fingers.

When the seals come out, the inner races are free to come away from the bearing. This is why advice was given above that the races could be fastened together to avoid seal damage. I didn't understand why until taking them apart! With the inner races out, the balls can be removed from the cages. This grease really doesn't seem in bad condition.

Now onto the second bearing. A slightly different dust seal (also stiffer than the other) but it comes apart in the same way.

This grease is in MUCH worse condition. Gross looking, pretty chunky, much less volume of grease than the previous one as well.

Interesting to note that one of the bearings has plastic cages and the latter that was taken apart has brass cages. I cleaned off the outer races to have a look and both of them look like they were machined yesterday. Plan is just to clean off all the old grease and repack with new grease before reassembling.

Downloads
    Uploads

RIV was (is?) a company making ball bearings at the time. They are certainly the originals. SKF is a later make, they reproduced the original. Hence also the difference in ball cage.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

nice to hear everything looks good with the bearings. they are a very robust design, and will last indefinitely if properly cared for. use a very critical eye when inspecting the individual parts and also the feel of the assembled unit when you finish. any spec of dust should be avoided, and if you feel one in there you have to clean it again.
    great job though, and thanks for posting the pictures. all this info is great for people who will be heading down this path in the future.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hoping you guys can give me some advice on my Dunlop piston assemblies. Wasn't really expecting to need to replace them but when taking them apart I'm seeing various levels of pitting from corrosion on the cylinder walls. Does this mean I'll need to buy replacements? Note: pictures taken after spraying WD-40 and giving them a quick brush to clean them up.

Quote from BG developments for new fronts is around 500 GBP. OUCH...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    nice to hear everything looks good with the bearings. they are a very robust design, and will last indefinitely if properly cared for. use a very critical eye when inspecting the individual parts and also the feel of the assembled unit when you finish. any spec of dust should be avoided, and if you feel one in there you have to clean it again.
    great job though, and thanks for posting the pictures. all this info is great for people who will be heading down this path in the future.
    I got them back together a few minutes ago and was very careful cleaning them off. Both feel smooth (although the SKF feels smoother) Almost feels like the internal clearances on the RIV bearing are greater. I'm contemplating replacing the RIV one because there was a small area of damage on one of the inner races. Almost looked like there was a metal spec in there from something and the balls rolled it into the race. It felt smooth when running my finger over it, but visually it was noticeable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    I got them back together a few minutes ago and was very careful cleaning them off. Both feel smooth (although the SKF feels smoother) Almost feels like the internal clearances on the RIV bearing are greater. I'm contemplating replacing the RIV one because there was a small area of damage on one of the inner races. Almost looked like there was a metal spec in there from something and the balls rolled it into the race. It felt smooth when running my finger over it, but visually it was noticeable.
    i would agree to replace the riv bearing too. if some metal has been deposited onto the inner race it can separate at any time and cause issues. wrap it in greased paper and save it for a rainy day.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which bearing was which please?
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Which bearing was which please?
    Brian

Brain,

The first one taken apart (all black dust seal) is the SKF bearing that has the plastic ball cages. The RIV bearing had the two color dust seal, with brass cages and the nasty looking grease. The RIV bearing was the one with damage in one of the inner races.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

For the dunlops: some companies bore the lining out and put a new lining in. I am not convinced it is a good idea. Apparently you got one with a bend pin, and that is certainly a problem. The front 2 1/8" were used on a lot of different cars, and can be found here and there, be it expensive. The small rear dunlops were only made for Lancia at the time, and are a lot harder to trace, if you can find them at all. There are alternatives for the dunlops, be it even more costly, but they may be a better option than repaired ones. Brake cylinders are heavy duty stuff, they get rather hot, and are exposed to a lot of nasty stuff being trown up against them. And they are a safety issue.

The pitting is a most common problem. If you put in new original dunlops, one word of advice: activate the brakes very regularly, the dunlops are actually very good, but there is one thing they can't stand, which is not being used for longer time. It is best for a car to be driven regularly anyway, it is not only the dunlops that have trouble being inactive for long times. Even in winter, on a clear sunny day, with no salt on the roads (if that applies to your place) take it for a somewhat longer drive (not a short drive, not being fully warmed up is maybe even worse for a car), let's say 30km (or 20 miles). If that is not possible, activate the brakes at home, by pushing them in a few time on a regular basis.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information