Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

just because a bearing says skf does not exclude asian origin. bearings these days can be a real crap shoot. one piece of equipment i service takes a very expensive set of angular contact bearings, and i've had bad ones straight from the box. now the first thing i look for is country of origin.
    you'll be happy with that regulator, it's the same as i use. does a much better job at low rpm than the original.
    your engine bay looks very similar to mine, i pulled the carbs, and while i was in there...
    i went through the horns too, they are very cool when you clean them up, but are seldom seen when everything else is in place. i still don't have the carbs back on due to these distractions. i'm going to do a diy powdercoat on the drip tray hopefully this afternoon.
    so many little projects.
    sorry for the hijack, carry on...

sorry, i shouldn't have said asian, i really just meant questionable origin...
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    just because a bearing says skf does not exclude asian origin. bearings these days can be a real crap shoot. one piece of equipment i service takes a very expensive set of angular contact bearings, and i've had bad ones straight from the box. now the first thing i look for is country of origin.
    you'll be happy with that regulator, it's the same as i use. does a much better job at low rpm than the original.
    your engine bay looks very similar to mine, i pulled the carbs, and while i was in there...
    i went through the horns too, they are very cool when you clean them up, but are seldom seen when everything else is in place. i still don't have the carbs back on due to these distractions. i'm going to do a diy powdercoat on the drip tray hopefully this afternoon.
    so many little projects.
    sorry for the hijack, carry on...
    Well I was just happy to see a name brand on it.. The bearings people were talking about on Viva Lancia in these pumps were said not to have any markings on them at all! I can always replace it later on if necessary I suppose.

Nice! I've never attempted to powercoat anything but have been contemplating trying zinc coating myself. I'm waiting to remove my carbs until after I have everything installed again even though I have a rebuild kit for them now. Want to make sure my overheating issue is gone before I change another variable. I haven't taken the horn apart yet, but I may need to since it isnt working (actually need to test it because it might just be the "switch" part not working as it should.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Taddraughns Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

i went through the horns too, they are very cool when you clean them up, ........

The horn(s) are so nice...!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horn.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	963.8 KB 
ID:	13854

Keep up the good work Taddraughn... Impressive work!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughns Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Castagnero View Post
    The horn(s) are so nice...!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horn.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	963.8 KB 
ID:	13854

Keep up the good work Taddraughn... Impressive work!
    Hmmm.. My horn definitely doesn't look like that. Probably just an aftermarket one that was fitted at some point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Just a small post because I got excited about how good the re-paint of the starter motor turned out. I used Gloss black enamel paint, but it turned out a dark grey color. No complaints here though, I think it looks great.

In addition to the re-paint of the starter motor, I also have started applying insulation material over the panels that have already been painted on the interior. Applying this stuff is actually much more difficult that you would think, but the aluminum tape really helps tie it together and make it look neat. I bought the insulation from http://www.lobucrod.com/, but I just checked the site and it says they're no longer in business. I just got this stuff last week :/

I also had a chance to wrap the field coils with new 3M cloth insulation tape, and placed in Nomex paper into the armature of the dynamo. The field coil wrapping doesn't look amazing but it's much better than the old insulation that was practically falling apart. Still waiting on new magnet wire, so still haven't re-wound the armature just yet, but ordered a NOS armature in case I mess this one up re-winding (everything is going well so far though). Also got some new bearings for the armature.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

looks very good t. interesting insulation. looks to be a lot lighter than the usual stuff. i have some of the butyl based stuff to apply to reduce interior noise, but may do a combination of that plus the lighter weight material. your original supplier may be gone, but at least they provided a link to another so you can still get more.
    i notice you're using por 15. i've used that in the past, and in fact still use it on occasion, but for the most part i switched to zero rust for stuff that doesn't see the sun. i've had the por crack in places due to it's brittle nature and allow water intrusion that may stay hidden for quite some time. the zero rust is much more forgiving to flexing. i do paint removal, picklex 20, then zero rust. i put down the first coat in red, then switch to black for the second. that way the red will show if there has been any damage. for interior stuff that won't likely see water the por is probably great, but for exterior chassis stuff i wouldn't use it. just offering an option...
    i think i see your horn down there in one of your pics, it may not be a replacement. definitely different than mine, but cars released in different areas may not always have the same hardware. a look in the tav might reveal if there are different part numbers. i kinda wish i'd seen that picture that got posted before i painted mine, the copper colored hammer tone paint looks good on the back cups. i used wrinkle black as i was repainting the valve cover and just did the cups at the same time. oh well.
    on the plus side, my diy powder coat on the carb drip tray worked great. should hold up to any gas spilling that will inevitably happen.
    keep it up!
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads

looks very good t. interesting insulation. looks to be a lot lighter than the usual stuff. i have some of the butyl based stuff to apply to reduce interior noise, but may do a combination of that plus the lighter weight material. your original supplier may be gone, but at least they provided a link to another so you can still get more.
    i notice you're using por 15. i've used that in the past, and in fact still use it on occasion, but for the most part i switched to zero rust for stuff that doesn't see the sun. i've had the por crack in places due to it's brittle nature and allow water intrusion that may stay hidden for quite some time. the zero rust is much more forgiving to flexing. i do paint removal, picklex 20, then zero rust. i put down the first coat in red, then switch to black for the second. that way the red will show if there has been any damage. for interior stuff that won't likely see water the por is probably great, but for exterior chassis stuff i wouldn't use it. just offering an option...
    i think i see your horn down there in one of your pics, it may not be a replacement. definitely different than mine, but cars released in different areas may not always have the same hardware. a look in the tav might reveal if there are different part numbers. i kinda wish i'd seen that picture that got posted before i painted mine, the copper colored hammer tone paint looks good on the back cups. i used wrinkle black as i was repainting the valve cover and just did the cups at the same time. oh well.
    on the plus side, my diy powder coat on the carb drip tray worked great. should hold up to any gas spilling that will inevitably happen.
    keep it up!
    Initially I was looking at Dynamat and similar products, but I ended up going with this insulation because it's applied with 3M trim adhesive, not the super aggressive adhesive on Dynamat. So if I do have to remove it at some point, it'll be easier.

I still have a large amount of POR15 left that I planned to use on the bottom of the car and the subframe. I am not yet decided on exactly how the underside of the car should be treated. I was thinking POR15 products and then over the POR15 do some of the rubberized undercoating material.. Or maybe just an enamel based paint over the POR15... I could just buy the POR branded top coat, but all their products are quite expensive and I doubt the top coat is anything special/different than other paints that are much cheaper. When you experienced the cracking with POR15, was it exposed to UV or anything that could have weakened it? I haven't heard many people having problems with it.

Glad to hear your carb tray powdercoating turned out well!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Hmmm.. My horn definitely doesn't look like that. Probably just an aftermarket one that was fitted at some point.
    Mine are original on my 1966 2c Berlina and the metal body is painted black, while the trumpets are black plastic.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Initially I was looking at Dynamat and similar products, but I ended up going with this insulation because it's applied with 3M trim adhesive, not the super aggressive adhesive on Dynamat. So if I do have to remove it at some point, it'll be easier.

I still have a large amount of POR15 left that I planned to use on the bottom of the car and the subframe. I am not yet decided on exactly how the underside of the car should be treated. I was thinking POR15 products and then over the POR15 do some of the rubberized undercoating material.. Or maybe just an enamel based paint over the POR15... I could just buy the POR branded top coat, but all their products are quite expensive and I doubt the top coat is anything special/different than other paints that are much cheaper. When you experienced the cracking with POR15, was it exposed to UV or anything that could have weakened it? I haven't heard many people having problems with it.

Glad to hear your carb tray powdercoating turned out well!
    the problems i had with por 15 were on either metal that was prone to flexing, (like floor pans) or where there were stone chips. the coating is very brittle and when it chips or cracks, the damage goes further than is visible. water can creep in and rust can form and remain hidden. that's why i switched to zero rust. i still have some por, and still use it on occasion, just not as much as i used to.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Mine are original on my 1966 2c Berlina and the metal body is painted black, while the trumpets are black plastic.
    Brian
    ok, i resisted posting a picture as long as i could.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1669-20180707-133831655.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	13859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1670-20180707-133832531.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	13860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1685-20180707-133833402.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	13861
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato

Thread Information