Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GlynW View Post
    Yes- these are my photos (1971 UK-spec. Fulvia 1600 HF S2). I posted the link a few years ago in another thread here and also on the LMC board. I have also added it to one of the replies in this thread!

I would certainly agree that a list of links to useful information would help us all, especially new owners. Perhaps we (and LMC members) need a place where we can deposit links to our own on-line data (photos, documents etc). A bit like the downloads section but 'virtual downloads' rather than real documents. It would need to be organised, administered and searchable though and we would need to be willing to maintain the linked files.

Glyn
    A big list like that would definitely be useful and could probably be put together in a sort-able google doc excel sheet or similar. But between working on my car and planning my trip to Great Britain in May, I certainly don't have time to make it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Here to report some weekend progress on the metal work. B-Pillar support replacement is in! I held off on welding in the accompanying membrane/ plate between sills because I felt I needed the room for getting at the inner wheel arch. Still haven't gotten the subframe box in because I chose to focus on the rear of the car this weekend.

So I started getting the undercoating off and thinking about how to get the inner arch out and... there really isn't a lot of room to work under there. David Ashworth jokingly (or maybe not jokingly) mentioned I'd need a thick hat. Undercoating removed I set a mark and started cutting. The Air saw really was the best weapon here. I was able to drill out the spot welds from below (this is probably the only way to remove them because there's no room at all to get at them from above as I would have liked). Here are a couple pictures; some surface rust on the quarter panel but nothing fatal. I should be able to clean it up with some wire brushing and prime it before plug welding the new inner arch in.

Progress has felt a bit on the slow side, but I'm thinking it's going to pick up next weekend. Once I have the inner arch and subframe box in, I'll be able to fit the new inner sill and start working on getting the floor in place. That'll really feel like progress and should go a bit faster than all the cutting and grinding I've been doing. Regardless, it feels good that I'm putting things back now instead of only taking them apart!

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got the subframe box welded in! And found another modification by a previous owner.

Instead of making a new jig, I was able to lift the body of the car in the shock tower area. I just used a jack to apply just enough pressure that my jack stands could be wiggled out. Then I fitted the new subframe (its much stiffer than the original so I think it's okay that I didn't have the aluminum towers bolted up too). Was able to get it tacked in and then switch back to the supports I was originally using to fully weld out the box.

when doing this I noticed that my new subframe wouldn't fit in the left hand box. Upon closer inspection, someone appears to have sleeved the box with a tube section. The original bushing had been shaved into a square shape to fit, something I didn't really think about when dropping the subframe the first time. The original frame fit because the circular section on the outrigger is smaller than the new frame I'm using from rosso corsa. So I'll definitely need to replace the left side box too when I'm done working on the right hand side of the car, otherwise my new subframe won't fit. Always something...

Anyway, after that I moved onto the right rear inner arch. After wire wheeling and rust proofing the quarter panel, I trimmed the arch with some snips and eventually was ready to weld it in with the help of half the clamps in the shop. This weekend I was just able to weld in the front half of the arch. Will get the other half next weekend and grind the welds flush. Working in the inner arches has been a huge pain and I would not recommend it to anyone.. lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress is good. Need more pics of the repairs/sub box area repairs and welding..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    Progress is good. Need more pics of the repairs/sub box area repairs and welding..
    Yeah sorry about that! I usually take tons of pictures when I work but didn't take many at all when I was fabbing and welding in the A and B pillar supports. I'll be sure to take some pictures this weekend to post of the newly welded in subframe box. I think I'm going to skip finishing the inner arch next weekend to try and get the new inner sill in there. I'd much rather work on the inner arches with the car up on the lift.

By the way just as a general progress update: David Ashworth will be making me a short inner sill for the left hand side so I can get in there and replace that subframe box since someone has sleeved it previously (definitely related to that thick bar I mentioned a while back).

Fun Fulvia Fact: There are two different inner sill patterns for these cars. David asked me to measure where the wire trough starts as some fulvias have the swage starting at 4 cm and some at 5 cm. Mine is the less common 5cm, or closer to the door, version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Took Saturday off from working on the car, but got quite a bit of work done today.

First off, a couple pictures of the repairs in the front as they were at the beginning of the day (as requested). Welds are pretty large but I wanted to make sure the connection was strong since I had to bridge a little bit to the membrane piece of metal. Not the prettiest welds, but they're hidden anyway

Started today test fitting the inner sill and punching holes for the plug welds, then sprayed the whole thing with weld through primer. Took a while to get it positioned exactly how I wanted it. Probably used 20 clamps and a few sheet metal screws lol.

Once I was happy with the positioning I started tacking and doing the plug welds. Skipped around and gave it plenty of time to cool in between welds in the same area. Still a little welding left to do where I want to do some seam welding in addition to the plug welds, but here's what it looks like now. Still need to grind all the welds smooth but my 3M finger sander is down because it needs a new front roller. Great tool but the front roller wears out WAY to quickly

Feels good to have the sill in! Now just to get the floorboard in and some other small miscellaneous pieces and I'll be close to done with the right side of the car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

what size wire are you using there?
    you might try going down a size to help you wet out the weld and not pile so much up. .030 should be the largest size for sheet stock, .023 can probably still run ok through the liner and might work a little better for you. i'd get a 2 lb spool and a few tips and give it a try.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    what size wire are you using there?
    you might try going down a size to help you wet out the weld and not pile so much up. .030 should be the largest size for sheet stock, .023 can probably still run ok through the liner and might work a little better for you. i'd get a 2 lb spool and a few tips and give it a try.
    I think the wire size is .030. It did pile up a little faster than I'd like when doing the kind of welds like on the sub frame box, but that may partly be because there was a bit of a gap I had to bridge. The wire size seems to work fine for for all the plug welds I've been doing though; minimal grinding needed to flatten them usually. I'll try using the smaller wire size when I get around to the left hand subframe box. Thanks for the tip

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice progress, and thanks for the pics! I'll be going down this road (some day) so love to see these threads. Surprised the roller on the finger sander wears out. Is it a factor of how much pressure you put on it or is it expected?

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

I certainly am enjoying watching this project progress. Way too daunting for me, so I tip my hat to you.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Thread Information