Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by osgii View Post
    Once you've seen it, you cannot leave it
    When is your car show?
    Should have left it closed but curiosity got the better of me. I guess the bottom seal must be leaking for there not to be any oil at all present.

Car show is October 12th!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    You will find the needle bearings (at least the original Nadellas) quite hard to source.

I am not too sure they really need replacing. I am not surprised that some needles fell out, I am not sure that it isn't even normal (when there is nothing in the bearing, the needles can "skew" inside the holder, and then they fall out). I would start by very much cleaning out everything (ultrasonic tank if you got one), and see how things look then. Be aware that the needle bearings don't fit tight, there is actually some play. It doesn't matter really, because the gears are held together by other means (in the central position by the adjusting screw - do NOT turn it completely tight! - and in turns of the car by the tendency of the car to return to straight).

Be also aware that the worm gear is centered in the box with shims, front and back. If you get those out, you may have a hell of a job to get it centered in the box again.

The steering box is (again) a quite delicate and tricky part of the Fulvia.

I assume you are aware: NEVER fill it with grease, always trasmission oil (as you wouldn't fill the gearbox with grease instead of oil).
    Thank you for the details about the steering box. I retained all the needles when they fell out (good thing it sounds like) since they are hard to source. I will give everything a good clean and see what it looks like. If all looks okay I can just replace the seals and put it back together. I think I have enough of the oil I used for my transmission left over to fill this steering box with.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the steering box used mono grade EP gearbox oil of 90 grade???

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    I thought the steering box used mono grade EP gearbox oil of 90 grade???
    i believe that's correct tim,
    but if you have a bad lower seal it won't hold the 90 wt. that's my situation. but in the interim, i have switched to the steering box lube designed for model t. very thick oil. almost grease. the stuff flows very slowly, and no leaks. no loss of performance either.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i believe that's correct tim,
    but if you have a bad lower seal it won't hold the 90 wt. that's my situation. but in the interim, i have switched to the steering box lube designed for model t. very thick oil. almost grease. the stuff flows very slowly, and no leaks. no loss of performance either.
    I'll see if I can find some of the single grade 90 oil. Maybe I can use that lucas stuff people have mentioned here?

I ordered the lower seal from grainger and it'll be here wednesday, so shouldn't have issues with leaking out the bottom after I replace it. Can't wait to have another battle with the drop arm on the box though

Downloads
    Uploads

Ep140 also works......

Penrite do a steering box lube, and I have some sae 250 from them like treacle, for pot joints....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Ep140 also works......

Penrite do a steering box lube, and I have some sae 250 from them like treacle, for pot joints....
    penrite, that's the stuff i'm using, works great. the hardest part is getting it in the steering box. i used a gear oil pump and it worked pretty good. the tip needs to be pretty small and preferably long to get it down in there or it tends to just sit in the opening and you have to wait an eternity for it to flow down and level out. on this subject, i need to check my appia box as well.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    penrite, that's the stuff i'm using, works great. the hardest part is getting it in the steering box. i used a gear oil pump and it worked pretty good. the tip needs to be pretty small and preferably long to get it down in there or it tends to just sit in the opening and you have to wait an eternity for it to flow down and level out. on this subject, i need to check my appia box as well.
    Warm the box to something like 50 degrees Celsius, it will flow alright then.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at the pictures of the paint work again (looks fabulous BTW) and was wondering about the trim pieces below the door. I see one on the one side and not on the other. Did you remove these before final paint and were they held in place with the correct clips or was 2 sided tape used? What will you use to reinstall them if you did take them off? Or maybe you will leave them off. I didn't see any mounting holes so just curious what and how you will deal with these as you reinstall everything. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 4thinline View Post
    I was looking at the pictures of the paint work again (looks fabulous BTW) and was wondering about the trim pieces below the door. I see one on the one side and not on the other. Did you remove these before final paint and were they held in place with the correct clips or was 2 sided tape used? What will you use to reinstall them if you did take them off? Or maybe you will leave them off. I didn't see any mounting holes so just curious what and how you will deal with these as you reinstall everything. Thanks.
    I took the drivers side off because the original paint had a crack that extended up through the area where the trim piece was. It was held on with some horrible rubberized adhesive and I dared not remove the passenger side because it was a massive pain to get off. I will be placing the drivers side trim back on with some double sided tape that Bmarler suggested. It's 3M "grey" OEM approved trim application tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thread Information