Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Ooops. I replied in the wrong thread! Sorry!
    No worries!

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I made a post last night as some of you may have seen, but it seems to have disappeared! Here it goes again..

To start off, here's a picture of the front floor that I was unable to upload last week due to my old phone dying.

This weekend my main aim was to finish the right side of the car, but alas the previous owner had left another hidden surprise for me. Hidden behind caked on JB Weld and Bondo was this...

So I got it cleaned up and started making patterns from what was left of the pieces.

And after a bit of fiddling I managed to come up with a dome shape piece that seemed to match the contour of what was there. I do think I made it a little taller than the original but I think it looks close/good enough. Certainly better than a mountain of jb weld in any case.

So that took up a lot of my time this weekend, but I also did a few patches in the back area where there was some rust. Here's a picture of the biggest of those patches.

Before

After

So still a decent amount of work to be done before the right hand side is complete:

-Back half of the inner wheel arch needs to go in
    -Oval panel in front of subframe box needs to go on
    -Piece of floor needs to be remade and welded in along the rear floorboard/to the rear of the inner sill
    -a couple more patches

Stay tuned for next weeks episode to see if I actually can accomplish all that in a long weekend lol. Really want to have this side done before I go to Great Britain in a couple weeks.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post

This weekend my main aim was to finish the right side of the car, but alas the previous owner had left another hidden surprise for me. Hidden behind caked on JB Weld and Bondo was this...
    When I see things like this, it's makes me glad I chose to go all in and get my car blasted! I got it back this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with how few surprises there were.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lsdiff View Post
    When I see things like this, it's makes me glad I chose to go all in and get my car blasted! I got it back this weekend and was pleasantly surprised with how few surprises there were.
    This car was quite deceptive because of all the bondo/jb weld. I thought I was just going to go in and replace the subframe box and right floor when I started this. Then slowly I realized just how bad it really was.

Probably would have saved me some time stripping paint and undercoating etc, if I had blasted it all to bare metal, but I think If I went that far right off the bat I would have been scared away from doing the metal work myself. It needed so much I think it would have been too intimidating for me at the time. Biting off little chunks at a time has made it more manageable.

Glad yours wasn't hiding too much!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

This car was quite deceptive because of all the bondo/jb weld. I thought I was just going to go in and replace the subframe box and right floor when I started this. Then slowly I realized just how bad it really was.

Probably would have saved me some time stripping paint and undercoating etc, if I had blasted it all to bare metal, but I think If I went that far right off the bat I would have been scared away from doing the metal work myself. It needed so much I think it would have been too intimidating for me at the time. Biting off little chunks at a time has made it more manageable.

Glad yours wasn't hiding too much!
    Thanks. I guess there are pros and cons to both approaches.
    I saw in an earlier post that you'll be in the UK in a couple of weeks. If you're here for the 28th of April, and if you're able, I'd highly recommend a trip to Bicester Heritage for the Sunday Scramble.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lsdiff View Post
    Thanks. I guess there are pros and cons to both approaches.
    I saw in an earlier post that you'll be in the UK in a couple of weeks. If you're here for the 28th of April, and if you're able, I'd highly recommend a trip to Bicester Heritage for the Sunday Scramble.
    I'd never heard of Bicester Heritage, but I took a look at their website and it looks very cool! I'll be in the GB May 1st -14th so I'd just miss that, but my girlfriend and I already have a pretty full itinerary for the two weeks. Going to make it to London, Bath, Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, and York. First time over to the UK so I'm really looking forward to it.

Rented a car to drive to Skye so it'll be interesting driving on the right hand side and rowing gears with my left hand (My girlfriend is nervous about it)

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Enjoy. There are some fantastic roads between Edinburgh and Isle of Skye. Take the long way around across the top of the Cairngorms National Park.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very good progress, Nice work to Justin.

Keep up the good work

Tor

Downloads
    Uploads

It would be nice to have, but I haven't seen an english copy anywhere.. If you read french there's this one though lol. https://cdn.store-factory.com/www.pi...compressed.pdf
    Learning French seems on par with your current efforts and all that you've taught yourself about body work, are you going to let a little language barrier get in the way??

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    Very good progress, Nice work to Justin.

Keep up the good work

Tor
    Thanks Tor!

It's Austin by the way

Thread Information