Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Alright Mpcart, my subframe is out and I took many pictures. I'll do my best to describe what I did and the general order of what I did. Overall this was way easier than I expected it to be; only took about an hour and a half to two hours.

Firstly, was the removal of the radiator and it's hoses.

Next I removed the airbox. It might only be necessary to remove the outer piece, but I chose to go ahead and remove the whole thing because it made it easier to get the wires off the dynamo and I'm going to be removing the carbs for rebuilding anyway.

After this, I started labelling wires and removing them. Really there aren't that many but ones that you might not notice at first would be the reverse switch light wires, which are located on the transmission housing. At this point I also removed the speed cable and rev counter cable.

Next I removed the choke and throttle cables

Inside the car, remove the boot for the shifter and remove the bolt and nut so that you can slide out the shift lever. For series 2 cars, I am not sure how this process will differ.

One thing that I failed to take a picture of is the steering attachment. For this you can get away with removing the one bolt that tightens the splined shaft. When the car is lifted away it should easily come free. There is some movement in the shaft but not much. Note there is also a wire that should be disconnected that runs through the steering knuckle.

At this point I jacked the car up to get a look at the brake lines in the wheel arches. In doing so I noticed a wonderful crack in my cast iron exhaust manifold.

Here's a look at the brake lines

I just slipped some hose over the fitting and let it drain into a bottle. Do this on both sides of the car.

You will also need to disconnect the exhaust at the midpoint of the car. I just removed it from the midpoint back because it became apparent the inside of the resonator was chocked full of rust flakes

At this point I lowered the car back to the ground and loosened the 6 bolts that attach the subframe to the body. Two at the back on the outriggers, two in the front, and the two on the top side with the aluminum bushing holders or whatever they may be called. BEFORE loosening these bolts make sure you have jack stands underneath the front of the subframe. It is front heavy and you don't want it to crash onto the floor when you lift the car body away from the subframe.

At this point you should be ready to lift the whole car away from the subframe.

Aaaaaaand voila!

guest star: my father

Last edited by Taddraughn; 19th August 2018 at 08:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question for you guys.. So only one of the red and black wires was connected to the coil and there was just another one flopping around in the breeze. Anyone know what that might be for? You can see the wires in the third picture. The one with the ring terminal was connected to the coil, but the other one wasn't connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Thank you for taking the trouble to record what you did to remove your subframe, it will no doubt come in handy for many of us here.
    Can i ask though if you can also add this to the library so it is available for anyone to download, as it is sometimes difficult to locate a previous write up a couple of years down the road, whereas if it's in the Fulvia section of the library it's easy for anyone to see and download.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Maybe it's someone here on the forum?

Interesting 'spoilering' around the sills and wheel arches. Should be easy to recognize.

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the pictures - they are very helpful. I don’t have a lift or as much room in my garage so I may have to get creative when lifting the body off.

-Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you for taking the trouble to record what you did to remove your subframe, it will no doubt come in handy for many of us here.
    Can i ask though if you can also add this to the library so it is available for anyone to download, as it is sometimes difficult to locate a previous write up a couple of years down the road, whereas if it's in the Fulvia section of the library it's easy for anyone to see and download.
    Brian

That's a good idea. I'll work on putting it into a word format and maybe adding some detail as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpcart View Post
    Thanks for the pictures - they are very helpful. I don’t have a lift or as much room in my garage so I may have to get creative when lifting the body off.

-Mike

I believe you could make it work with just a couple jacks and some wood. I am lucky to be able to work in my father's business' "hot rod shop." It's a bit out the way for me to go down there to work on the car but the machinery and tools available there make doing stuff like this sooooooo much easier.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another question I have other than the one about the wire above..

Would it be a good idea (basically asking are there any reasons why I would not want to do this) to replace the cast iron exhaust manifold and my current downpipe with a set of headers and downpipe from lalancia? (see link)

http://www.lalancia.com/products-pag...upe/headers-hf

From just looking at it, it appears to be the same shape part where it attaches to the engine so I don't see why it wouldn't work. The cost is not super prohibitive for this part so I was considering this instead of just fixing mine or buying the one replacement part i need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would it be a good idea (basically asking are there any reasons why I would not want to do this) to replace the cast iron exhaust manifold and my current downpipe with a set of headers and downpipe from lalancia? (see link)

From just looking at it, it appears to be the same shape part where it attaches to the engine so I don't see why it wouldn't work. The cost is not super prohibitive for this part so I was considering this instead of just fixing mine or buying the one replacement part i need.
    check/ask about contact with/modification of the subframe (transversal part) ( while you are at it, and going strong (really strong) )

groeten geert.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

there's a different setup that should go in without modification. its the two piece set with the three bolt flange at the downpipe connection. i just did a set like that and it fits the subframe like a glove. (well after i did some massaging anyway) i sprayed it with cerakote ceramic coating inside and out and am super happy with how it came out.
    adan has that set too, i think its essentially made to factory spec.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Brilliant. These pictures help me a lot. Thank you!

Thread Information