Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

  1. #41
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Age
    24
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Can't see much point in scraping the sender mounting point, as the sender is insulated from the tank by a rubber sealing gasket, so any earth must be through the fixing screws.
    Brian
    Good point there.. I hadn't though of the gasket because I threw the old one away (it was leaking). Omicron is sending a new one with my order, but they had to build be a right floor panel for me so it hasnt shipped yet.

  2. #42
    Legendary Lancista lancialulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    2,092
    Downloads
    53
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post

    When you use self tapping screws, my guess it will make contact anyway with the tank. Better ensure the tank itself will have contact with the chassis.
    If I remember the screws are M4 cap screws not self tappers. Very few self tappers on a Lancia. Run a tap through the sender mounting threads in the tank to clean the paint and any residual treatment.

  3. #43
    Legendary Lancista fay66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Silsoe Bedfordshire England
    Age
    79
    Posts
    1,526
    Downloads
    84
    Uploads
    86

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    Came as a bit of a surprise how compressed the old one was when I changed, the new one was a our 4 times as thick!
    Thinking about the earth, I can't remember seeing a separate earth anywhere, only the two wires going to the sender.
    Brian

  4. #44
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,257
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    As Tim noted, the (6, if memory serves) sender screws aren't self-tapping, so cleaning the tank threads is a good idea, as that's how the sender grounds. And as Geoff notes, the asymmetric fan blades are about harmonics rather than aerodynamics.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  5. #45
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Age
    24
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    As Tim noted, the (6, if memory serves) sender screws aren't self-tapping, so cleaning the tank threads is a good idea, as that's how the sender grounds. And as Geoff notes, the asymmetric fan blades are about harmonics rather than aerodynamics.
    Indeed there are 6, non self-tapping screws that hold the sender in place. Should be a fairly easy job to clean out the threads. Thanks for all the input everyone!

    Pretty sure my NOS armature is getting delivered today so it looks like I have a shot at having the car running this weekend and testing out if I've fixed the overheating issue and charging system issue!

  6. #46
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Age
    24
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

    So... The progress I wanted to make over the weekend didn't happen. The armature that I've been waiting on from Italy only just arrived last night. So last night I took the time to put my dynamo back together with the new armature and give it a test. This time I tested it correctly (with the D- and DF terminals jumped together to ground) and the D+ connected to positive on the battery terminal). Lo and behold, she spins! I was starting to get a little frustrated with the dynamo when my plan to re-wrap the old armature didn't work out because of insulation stack up. I had even considered buying a dynator even though they are prohibitively expensive.

    I now know why the flathead countersink screws were so hard to get off in the first place. With new insulation applied, I had to clamp the field coil shoe very hard to allow me to screw in the screw far enough to get clearance to install the armature into the dynamo. I also cleaned up the generator as much as possible. Even sanded on it and clear coated the outside, but the appearance is still not spectacular in my opinion. No worries though, not like you can easily see it when everything is installed, and it's MUCH better than when I removed it.

    So looks like I should actually be able to get the car running this upcoming weekend barring some unforeseen obstacle.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Taddraughn

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •