Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

How bad is the box? Post up some pics. I have one cut apart right now (work in slow progress..very slow) if you need any pics. I removed the sub box for replacement by cutting the fender. Wasn’t that hard (or that easy) to get the box out and the car is on a rotisserie. Would think it will be especially hard working from inside the car.

Downloads
    Uploads

You generally have to cut the wing as the sill goes behind it and rots. It also provides best access to do the mounting boxs accurarely and strong.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’ll post up some pictures of what I’m working with. Hopefully later today. I was thinking id use the subframe to accurately position the box

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay so didn't do anything with the car yesterday but spent all day today working on it. Made supports and got the car leveled with enough room to get under and work. Need to add one more somewhere on the passenger side where the sill will be cut..

Some more in depth poking and proding revels a solid subframe box on the drivers side (yay) and one that's in pretty bad shape on the passenger side

Chipping away bondo revealed more metal than I expected. Why the hell would you bondo this when you could just patch it? Really not as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway, no additional work done on that part of the vehicle today. Going to try and tackle it over the next few weeks though. Onto the small patch I got done today.

Here's a picture of before I did any cutting

After cutting out this square I was able to save the seatbelt mount.

Made a cardboard pattern, then transferred to metal. I wasn't sure the best way to get the correct radius so I just heated the patch up glowing red and forced it into the radius of the metal nearby; this worked very well! The metal blew through on me a couple times and I had to spend some time building material back up. I'm not used to welding 1mm thick sheet steel.

Here's the patch welded out with some of the grinding work done.. Going to grind them flush and then drill the hole for the seatbelt mount and get that tacked in. Need to think about order of operations there to make sure it's rust proofed where the metal is sandwiched together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    How bad is the box? Post up some pics. I have one cut apart right now (work in slow progress..very slow) if you need any pics. I removed the sub box for replacement by cutting the fender. Wasn’t that hard (or that easy) to get the box out and the car is on a rotisserie. Would think it will be especially hard working from inside the car.
    Would love some pictures that may help me understand how all the different metal pieces connect in the area. You could post them in this thread or email them to me if it’s easier for you. Taddraughn@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way, anyone got tips for getting the undercoating off? It gums up wire wheels and flap discs really fast so that’s not a good way to do it...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    By the way, anyone got tips for getting the undercoating off? It gums up wire wheels and flap discs really fast so that’s not a good way to do it...
    Try a sharp chisel or a 2” paint scraper or similar..works great to get most off then a solvent for the rest.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

An electric paint stripper gun works well, but not terribly quickly. You don't have to melt the undercoat, just loosen it up and take it off with the scrapper blade.

Experienced Lancista Castagnero's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

HERE are many pictures from the restauration of a Fulvia coupé 1.3.

The pictures are NOT mine and it is NOT my car.

Maybe the pictures can come in handy for some. If not ... better safe than sorry.

Active Lancista johan_chaingang's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whoaw, respect, this Alwin-guy has got a lot of patience!
    I hope in reality, after all that work, his seats aren't as pink as in the pictures.
    Johan - Berchem Belgium
    Lancia Fulvia Coupé S2 1971 - Bianco Saratoga

Thread Information