Page 47 of 76 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

My most dreaded part of the project has arrived and I plan to get started on it this weekend.. Floor pan and sub frame box replacement for the right side.

Thinking about how to do the repair it seems like I'm going to need to build some form of support or platform to keep the car level during the process.. I'd also planned on a brace across the door frame in the horizontal and vertical directions. Would supporting the car in this fashion for the duration of repairs be sufficient?

I have PLENTY of help when it comes to fitting the metal and doing the welding, but the people helping me have no specific knowledge of the Fulvia, so it's up to me to make sure the car is supported and braced correctly prior to these repairs.

Edit: Also just to mention it, I talked about subframe repair a while back in this thread and never followed up. That's because when I got ready to do it my Dad decided he wanted to buy me a new subframe instead of going through mine with me (in exchange for helping him with wiring on his Chevy Nova II). Of course I accepted and that subframe is on the way now. I intend to repair the rusty frame at a later date anyway, but it's no longer a priority.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    From Jonny at BG:

"Glad you like them! The pistons and seals are already greased so they should be fine. Just the usual copper slip on the back of the pads etc as you would do on a normal caliper install and they’ll be good!

Yes the pins are indeed stainless steel
    Let us know how you get on!"
    Hi I’m new to this world just a question who are B G as I’m going to maybe need new brakes to fit my fulvia thanks Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi I’m new to this world just a question who are B G as I’m going to maybe need new brakes to fit my fulvia thanks Jim
    Check out their website: bgdevelopments.co.uk/

They're one of the companies that make replacements for Dunlop piston assemblies

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out their website: bgdevelopments.co.uk/

They're one of the companies that make replacements for Dunlop piston assemblies
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to know more:

for the front brakes, there are a number of options to get replacements:
    - there are some NOS original Dunlop (or Girling as they were later renamed) to be found (at a price) for the front 2 1/8" cylinders/pistons as they were also used on a number of different car types/makes such as Jaguar
    - there are a number of stainless replacements made by Zeus (http://www.zeus.uk.com/index.php?dis...&product_id=26), Hye-Dra-Cyl (http://www.classiclancia.com/car-parts/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53) and possibly some others that I am not aware of but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
    - BG developments makes aluminium replacements (http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/prod...ssemblies.html)

for the rear brakes, the situation is slightly more difficult. On the Fulvia Coupe 1.3, it was "21" cylinders (which means 1 5/16"), on the 1.3S (with rear brake limiter) and the Berlina, it was "22" (which means 1 6/16" or 1 3/8"). These were only manufactured for Lancia by Dunlop, so it is nearly impossible to find any NOS for those. But:
    - BG developments makes the 1 1/4". That one is a "20". It can be used in place of the "21" for the Coupe 1.3, even when it is slightly smaller than the normal "21" originally: the "21" on the Coupe 1.3 turned out to be a tiny bit too large, making the rear brakes lock up before the front brakes under certain conditions (which is not what you want, can make the car swap around in a turn when braking hard); the "22" of the 1.3S doesn't have this problem even when larger, with the rear brake limiter. The "20" (1 4/16" of 1 1/4") of BG developments is just exactly right for this purpose. I am not aware of any other than BG that supplies this small size.

For an overview of the Dunlop brake systems/components on Lancia Fulvia/Flavia/Flaminia see in downloads section an overview/parts list I made some time ago (only of the original parts, not the current manufacturers that make replacements).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    If you want to know more:

for the front brakes, there are a number of options to get replacements:
    - there are some NOS original Dunlop (or Girling as they were later renamed) to be found (at a price) for the front 2 1/8" cylinders/pistons as they were also used on a number of different car types/makes such as Jaguar
    - there are a number of stainless replacements made by Zeus (http://www.zeus.uk.com/index.php?dis...&product_id=26), Hye-Dra-Cyl (http://www.classiclancia.com/car-parts/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53) and possibly some others that I am not aware of but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
    - BG developments makes aluminium replacements (http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/prod...ssemblies.html)

for the rear brakes, the situation is slightly more difficult. On the Fulvia Coupe 1.3, it was "21" cylinders (which means 1 5/16"), on the 1.3S (with rear brake limiter) and the Berlina, it was "22" (which means 1 6/16" or 1 3/8"). These were only manufactured for Lancia by Dunlop, so it is nearly impossible to find any NOS for those. But:
    - BG developments makes the 1 1/4". That one is a "20". It can be used in place of the "21" for the Coupe 1.3, even when it is slightly smaller than the normal "21" originally: the "21" on the Coupe 1.3 turned out to be a tiny bit too large, making the rear brakes lock up before the front brakes under certain conditions (which is not what you want, can make the car swap around in a turn when braking hard); the "22" of the 1.3S doesn't have this problem even when larger, with the rear brake limiter. The "20" (1 4/16" of 1 1/4") of BG developments is just exactly right for this purpose. I am not aware of any other than BG that supplies this small size.

For an overview of the Dunlop brake systems/components on Lancia Fulvia/Flavia/Flaminia see in downloads section an overview/parts list I made some time ago (only of the original parts, not the current manufacturers that make replacements).
    Thanks for the info haven’t got to the running gear refurb yet but for armed and all that ,thanks jim

Downloads
    Uploads

My most dreaded part of the project has arrived and I plan to get started on it this weekend.. Floor pan and sub frame box replacement for the right side.

Thinking about how to do the repair it seems like I'm going to need to build some form of support or platform to keep the car level during the process.. I'd also planned on a brace across the door frame in the horizontal and vertical directions. Would supporting the car in this fashion for the duration of repairs be sufficient?

I have PLENTY of help when it comes to fitting the metal and doing the welding, but the people helping me have no specific knowledge of the Fulvia, so it's up to me to make sure the car is supported and braced correctly prior to these repairs.

Edit: Also just to mention it, I talked about subframe repair a while back in this thread and never followed up. That's because when I got ready to do it my Dad decided he wanted to buy me a new subframe instead of going through mine with me (in exchange for helping him with wiring on his Chevy Nova II). Of course I accepted and that subframe is on the way now. I intend to repair the rusty frame at a later date anyway, but it's no longer a priority.
    it's always a good idea to block up the car and level it before doing repairs like this. especially if you're doing the sills at the same time. get it supported so the doors open/close perfectly, make sure you support it in several places so it can't move or twist, then x brace the opening. if you aren't taking the sill apart at this point bracing the door opening may not be needed. it kind of depends on how much metal you're taking out.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    it's always a good idea to block up the car and level it before doing repairs like this. especially if you're doing the sills at the same time. get it supported so the doors open/close perfectly, make sure you support it in several places so it can't move or twist, then x brace the opening. if you aren't taking the sill apart at this point bracing the door opening may not be needed. it kind of depends on how much metal you're taking out.
    Yeah I’ll be removing just the inner sill for access to the subframe box. Replacing right side floor at the same time because it’s just a bunch of bondo.

Started small tonight (for condfidence boost) with the rust in the rear floor. Had a small hole where what I’m assuming is a seat belt mount was. Cut out a small square that included the seat belt mount (thinking I can reuse the seat belt mount after de-rusting it)

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Taddraughn;76150]Yeah I’ll be removing just the inner sill for access to the subframe box. Replacing right side floor at the same time because it’s just a bunch of bondo.
    [QUOTE]

Will be interested to see how your subframe box replacement goes without cutting away the lower fender. Might be difficult to get the box out as it is welded to the outer sill etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=boulderz;76152][QUOTE=Taddraughn;76150]Yeah I’ll be removing just the inner sill for access to the subframe box. Replacing right side floor at the same time because it’s just a bunch of bondo.

Will be interested to see how your subframe box replacement goes without cutting away the lower fender. Might be difficult to get the box out as it is welded to the outer sill etc.
    Ive been taking a look at a lot of photos of people that have done the work and it seems possible to do without cutting the wing/fender. I really wanted to avoid any exterior paint/bodywork if possible.

I guess it it all depends on what it looks like when I cut the sill back. If the support for the A pillar is rusted etc, it may not be possible to do the repairs without cutting the wing.

Thread Information