Page 43 of 65 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Welp... Threw the head into the vapor blaster to clean it up. Started with the combustion chambers and found cracks from the seats to the spark plug holes. Is this something I should fix or just buy a new head?

And if it is junk, can I only use a 818.100 head as a replacement, or can I use an 818.140? I know the 140 was for bores that are a little bigger so wasn't sure if it would work with the rest of my parts.

Last edited by Taddraughn; 7th January 2019 at 07:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

An 818.140 head should work fine; it was originally produced for the 1.2HF, but continued to be used for the S1 1.3s
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Mmmmhhhmm...I am getting slightly confused now.

What is the car model? And what engine model are we talking?

The 818.100 head is for the 1.1 (2C Berlina) and 1.2 (NOT HF) models. The cast of the 818.140 head was originally for the 1.2 HF and was reused on the 1.3 and 1.3S engines for the S1, but that does not mean the heads are entirely the same: the finishing (e.g. the valve seats, and maybe a few other details) are not the same on these models.

I guess an engine with the wrong type of head may run, but how good, no idea. There are things to be considered like CR and clearance of the valves from the pistons and a few other things.

The crack in the head is nasty (not the first time I see this). I have no idea if this can be repaired, but seems difficult to me. I wouldn't operate it in this condition tho, although undoubtedly the engine will run, but how good and how long, that's the question..

As to using the 818.100 head: well, depends on what the engine model is, which I am now starting to get confused about.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Mmmmhhhmm...I am getting slightly confused now.

What is the car model? And what engine model are we talking?

The 818.100 head is for the 1.1 (2C Berlina) and 1.2 (NOT HF) models. The cast of the 818.140 head was originally for the 1.2 HF and was reused on the 1.3 and 1.3S engines for the S1, but that does not mean the heads are entirely the same: the finishing (e.g. the valve seats, and maybe a few other details) are not the same on these models.

I guess an engine with the wrong type of head may run, but how good, no idea. There are things to be considered like CR and clearance of the valves from the pistons and a few other things.

The crack in the head is nasty (not the first time I see this). I have no idea if this can be repaired, but seems difficult to me. I wouldn't operate it in this condition tho, although undoubtedly the engine will run, but how good and how long, that's the question..

As to using the 818.100 head: well, depends on what the engine model is, which I am now starting to get confused about.
    Sorry for the confusion. The engine is the 1.1 2C Berlina engine. It has an 818.100 head and a 818.000 block. I guess my reasoning for thinking they might be interchangeable is that it seems the only difference in my engine and the 1216HF block is bore size of few mm.

My dad seems to think it's no problem to fix but we'll see. Going to take it in tomorrow and let them have a look.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you remove the valve seat weld the crack and remachine then this is not a serious job....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    if you remove the valve seat weld the crack and remachine then this is not a serious job....
    Hopefully the shop will be able to fix it. I'd rather have someone that I can trust fix it than buy a random head off ebay.it and not know for sure what the condition of it is until I receive it. None of the places I usually buy parts from have a spare head of this type (although I haven't heard back from Mike Kristick yet).

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm... Not sure what happened with the forum, but seems we lost a day or two worth the posts.

Dropped the head off at the shop yesterday. Should have it back in a couple weeks according to the owner.

In the meantime I've located a full 818.302 engine that's been sitting in someones garage in MN for a decade or so. Depending on price I may pick it up as a future project to have a more correct engine (read: more POWER) in my car. Certinaly not this time around because I want to drive this thing this summer, but doesn't seem that these engines pop up for sale often in the US so it might be a good pick up for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

1. If there is an 302 engine in the US for sale, I wouldn't hesiate, get it. It doesn't matter what state, they can be rebuild to practically new.
    2. I am a bit skeptical about the performance of a 818.100 engine in a 818.330 car. Especially if the transmission is the one for the 302 engine. The 818.100 engine has about a quarter less power, and that was compensated for in the 2C by lower gears (reducing top performance along the way). If you are currently putting that much effort in a restoring an engine, why not immediately on the correct type of engine if you can get hold of it? If the 302 is still in reasonsbale condition, you could even install it without doing much of a restoration (I have been driving a worn out engine 302 for years, the only drawbacks being a bit less poiwer and 1Litre oil / 1000 km).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    1. If there is an 302 engine in the US for sale, I wouldn't hesiate, get it. It doesn't matter what state, they can be rebuild to practically new.
    2. I am a bit skeptical about the performance of a 818.100 engine in a 818.330 car. Especially if the transmission is the one for the 302 engine. The 818.100 engine has about a quarter less power, and that was compensated for in the 2C by lower gears (reducing top performance along the way). If you are currently putting that much effort in a restoring an engine, why not immediately on the correct type of engine if you can get hold of it? If the 302 is still in reasonsbale condition, you could even install it without doing much of a restoration (I have been driving a worn out engine 302 for years, the only drawbacks being a bit less poiwer and 1Litre oil / 1000 km).

Well i think it will need a full rebuild based on the looks. I’ve just told the guy I’d buy it for $500 which seems like an okay price for a complete engine. Will have to pay for shipping it so that will be expensive too, but not nearly as expensive as shipping from Europe.

The 818.100 is okay with my 818.130 transmission. Obviously it’s not fast but it’s not impossible to drive with traffic. I think I’d rather take my time restoring this new engine while I drive the car. Swapping the engine when I’m done won’t be too much trouble. Really I’m not putting a terrible amount of energy into the 818.100 engine. Just a valve job and slapping it back together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    In the meantime I've located a full 818.302 engine that's been sitting in someones garage in MN for a decade or so. Depending on price I may pick it up as a future project to have a more correct engine (read: more POWER) in my car. Certinaly not this time around because I want to drive this thing this summer, but doesn't seem that these engines pop up for sale often in the US so it might be a good pick up for me.
    Believe it or not, when I bought my 72 Fulvia it arrived with a 1091 cc Berlina engine. And, believe it or not, I bought a correct 1.3 (818.303) engine for it from...Minnesota! Seems Fulvia motors are plentiful in the land of 10,000 lakes.

Thread Information