Page 84 of 92 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    I actually am using a newly made subframe from rosso corsa (marathon frame on their website).
    Wow, that's some serious money. I never new how lucky I was, getting a good used subframe for less than a quarter of what the Rosso Corsa website says. But then again, I don't plan to compete in marathon races

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you make your self-imposed deadline. It's a joy to follow your build thread. I - like others have already expressed - also envy your dedication, craftsmanship and your workshop

Bernt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    Wow, that's some serious money. I never new how lucky I was, getting a good used subframe for less than a quarter of what the Rosso Corsa website says. But then again, I don't plan to compete in marathon races

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you make your self-imposed deadline. It's a joy to follow your build thread. I - like others have already expressed - also envy your dedication, craftsmanship and your workshop

Bernt
    Yeah it was pretty expensive, but I actually didn't buy it myself (and wouldn't have). My dad offered to buy it for me in exchange for me wiring his 4L60E transmission and US Shift transmission controller in his Chevy Nova.

Thanks Bernt! I guess when you really think about it, the deadline really isn't that objectively important. It's just a car show, but I've told a lot of people here locally that I'm trying to have it in the show (coworkers, friends, family, etc. even my dentist was asking about it on monday lol) so there's a little pressure to make sure it gets there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Yeah it was pretty expensive, but I actually didn't buy it myself (and wouldn't have). My dad offered to buy it for me in exchange for me wiring his 4L60E transmission and US Shift transmission controller in his Chevy Nova.

Thanks Bernt! I guess when you really think about it, the deadline really isn't that objectively important. It's just a car show, but I've told a lot of people here locally that I'm trying to have it in the show (coworkers, friends, family, etc. even my dentist was asking about it on monday lol) so there's a little pressure to make sure it gets there.
    my god, don't disappoint your dentist. your cleaning will be really painful next time...
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    my god, don't disappoint your dentist. your cleaning will be really painful next time...
    I believe I'll have to change to a different dentist. The shame will be unbearable and he may stab my gums more than normal

Downloads
    Uploads

Still behind my schedule but I made some very good progress this weekend. I think my dad is going to help me bend new brake lines tomorrow after work; after that, there aren't many things left to do before lowering the car onto the front subframe!

Started out by assembling the rear leafsprings. Actually took a lot longer than I thought that would to get everything set and clamped with the SST clamps.

After getting them completely assembled, I put them on the car. Ended up using a 2x4 and some clamps to get the spring to line up with shackles and front support point at the same time.

With both attached, the axle went on without too much fuss.

After this, my dad arrived and helped me with the panhard bar and the rear shock absorbers. I left my wheel bearings at home so that pretty much concluded rear suspension assembly for the day. We then took the old tires and tubes off the wheels. I'm glad I got tubes in because 2 of the wheels had some rust by the valve stem. I wire brushed all rust off and hit the rims with a couple coats of zero rust paint. Will mount and balance them during the week (very lucky to have a mounting and balancing machine in the shop)

After that we moved onto a bunch of little items including the ARB for the front subframe. I pressed in the bushings in the direction shown in the orange book and... some italian engineer has some explaining to do! The drawing is wrong; it shows the part flipped the other way. If you're like me and you consult the book to see how things together before seeing if it will work on the car you might want to leave yourself a little note on that page... haha.

Here's a couple shots of the completed rear suspension:

As you can see I found a place for the fuel pump. Really was the only place that I could find that wasn't in the way of a fuel or brake line or the exhaust and its hangers. I think I'll make a little aluminum box/shield to go around it when I have the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't torque down the rear suspension bolts with the car in the air. Tighten them, but hold off on final torque until the car is on its wheels with about 80lb of weight in the trunk.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Don't torque down the rear suspension bolts with the car in the air. Tighten them, but hold off on final torque until the car is on its wheels with about 80lb of weight in the trunk.
    80lb seems pretty light. I you can, put something like double amount that in.

I had two persons sitting of the edge of the boot to do it.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I think about it, it might be 80kg...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

My car suddenly looks so.... shabby.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

The 80 is 80mm distance between spring top plate and bumpstop. You put weight in until you get that distance and then torque everything up (all the silent blocks including shocks, and transverse rod).

Thread Information