Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Re those boots, they are a bit of a pain but do a good job in protecting the ball joint.

I would not recommend them fitted “loose”.

I have some old OE metal retaining plates from previous dismantles (with locking ears snapped off) and they the same design as these new aftermarket ones. I think the problem lies with the boot dimensions and also the rubber used as they split easily on an HF suspension if left in max droop for any time....

My solution is to fit the ring to the boot and fit the boot to the plate then (super)glue it in a vice overnight so it can be handled in assembly with the suspension arm.

Same applies to Flavia BTW....
    Will put that on the "to do-list" for my Flavia.
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

So yesterday due to the boots not fitting well and me making a new spring tool, I was pretty far behind schedule. I woke up at 5AM so that I could try to get a lot done today (I am NOT a morning person but somehow managed). Started by getting the spring up, mounting the top A-arm and getting the rubber standoffs in. I ended up using my old ones until the lower ones can come in. The new ones that were stock height just looked so tall and I didn't really want to get the car together have it sit super high. Will probably change to the newer 70mm ones I ordered sometime in the future.

I then added all the engine and transmission frame pieces. I should also note I had the help of my dad today and there's no way I'd have made so much progress without him. A lot of these things take 2x as long if done alone.

Next we took some time to properly time the engine using a timing light and info from the service manual. I was actually running a bit too advanced as I had it set. After timing it, we got everything disconnected from the engine stand and carried the engine over to the frame.

The motor mounts were a huge pain in the ass to get started with new rubber pieces. Ended up using longer bolts first, then switching them out one at a time. No way I could have managed this without 2 people. After that we mounted the transmission and tested out the function of the clutch by hand (ignore the crazy clutch arm position; just had it there for a test). Did a few other small things, but pretty much called it a day after that. Little behind the schedule but I think I can manage. Really looking forward to getting it on the road again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great!

Are you going to leave the valve cover 'raw', like an S2, or go with black crackle?
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Looks great!

Are you going to leave the valve cover 'raw', like an S2, or go with black crackle?

Thanks Ed! I think with this engine I'll leave the valve cover as is. When I get around to rebuilding the 302 engine I have on the shelf I think I'll go with the crackle black treatment. I actually didn't realize S2s didn't get crackle paint valve covers; I just assumed they all came like that.

Thread Information