Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    Ah, I wish I had the time but I have to live vicariously through you and others restoring Fulvias like Racer.. I'm just at a different stage than a lot of guys on here I'm guessing, have 3 young kids all in school all doing different activities and sports - I work for myself so time is very tight. But I have amassed enough projects to keep me busy the rest of my life. Using this time to collect parts, work on them when there's time and learn all I can as I slowly progress towards restoring the HF. I also have a 72 1.3S that keeps me busy and a 66 which is stripped and in need of body work. I have others too that I kid myself into thinking I have time to deal with...

Watching progress like yours is great for motivation though!
    I understand that. Just wait till the kids are a little older and you can put them to work on the cars! Lol.

I still have several little projects for my fulvia planned even after it's back together so you can continue to live vicariously through me for a while still

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    Just wait till the kids are a little older and you can put them to work on the cars!
    Absolutely

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress went as planned this weekend. Just spent a few hours finishing up the welding under the car on the right hand side. After that I cut out the brace that I had across the car in the front so I have access to cut out the front part of the inner sill on the drivers side. No popping or noises when I cut the brace so that's good (although I kinda doubt that particular diagonal brace was even doing anything in the first place).

After that I finished up making most of the engine test stand I was working on. Radiator support, battery tray, control panel, etc added to the frame. Pretty much ready for the engine and wiring. Also got the rest of my engine built into a long block. Just needs the intake manifold, exhaust, carbs, and accessories and I can give it a whirl on the stand.

Anyway, no work on the car for a few weeks due to my trip. It's going to feel weird not working on it since I've been putting in work almost every weekend for about as long as I can remember, but it should be a nice break /keep me from getting burnt out. Thinking I'll come back from Britain with fresh motivation to take on the drivers side sub box and whatever else is lurking.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just got back in from Great Britain and I feel like I haven't touched the car in months.. Really ready to get back to working on it and start making some more progress. Really enjoyed my time in the UK and definitely will return to explore other areas and eat more great food. I also now have an affinity for hobnobs, jammy dodgers, and PG Tips mid-afternoon (thankfully amazon can help me acquire more of these).

Anyway, a couple pictures if you're interested (more car progress pictures sure to come this weekend). Pictures are, in the order below, of: Bone Marrow Toast at St. John in London, view from Arthur's Seat, York Minster, Quirang on Isle of Skye, a view in Bath, and the Roman bath in Bath.

Downloads
    Uploads

Crikey, that was some visit with the places you visited and how far apart they are, only one I recognised was the shot of the Roman Baths at Bath..
    But certainly looks like you enjoyed your visit.

Bone marrow on toast!
    Please, enlighten me, can't say it's anything I've ever been offered for breakfast, or come to that I've heard of anyone I know have had for breakfast!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Crikey, that was some visit with the places you visited and how far apart they are, only one I recognised was the shot of the Roman Baths at Bath..
    But certainly looks like you enjoyed your visit.

Bone marrow on toast!
    Please, enlighten me, can't say it's anything I've ever been offered for breakfast, or come to that I've heard of anyone I know have had for breakfast!
    We were definitely busy!

The bone marrow on toast was actually for dinner. St. John is a restaurant in london popular for "Nose to Tail" cooking so they often have dishes on the menu that are offals or odd cuts of meat you might not normally see (heart, kidney, liver, etc.. they have a hog head pie even). They're famous for popularizing marrow on toast and I can see why.. Theirs is amazing! For mains my girlfriend had lamb sweetbreads and I had ox liver.

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now that you’ve girded your loins with marrow on toast (yum!), and have PG Tips to hand (warning: it’ll not taste as good as in the UK because you require that over-the-top mineral content water common in the UK), time to get back to work. You have people pining for progress reports!

incidentally, why not add a chain-drive from the engine to one of the wheels on the engine stand. It might provide more “bang for your buck”

as always: my hat is off to you and I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the progress.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Reporting about your work, the way you solve problems and where you source spares is interesting and inspiring. Everything at the side adds life to the story. Much appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Akonaut; 15th May 2019 at 03:41 PM.
    Hubert
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Professorgearhead View Post

incidentally, why not add a chain-drive from the engine to one of the wheels on the engine stand. It might provide more “bang for your buck”

as always: my hat is off to you and I’m thoroughly enjoying watching the progress.
    Haha luckily the stand is almost free because I made it from random leftover lengths of tubing laying around from other projects. My dad's construction business makes all their own trailers and pipe racks for trucks, etc. so there's always leftover metal to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Akonaut View Post
    Reporting about your work, the way you solve problems and where you source spares is interesting and inspiring. Everything at the side adds life to the story. Much appreciated!!!
    Thanks Hubert; I appreciate the kind words! I'm really enjoying making this thread.

This weekend I managed to get down and work on the car some despite having a lot of other obligations. I don't want to speak too early, but it seems like work on the left side of the car will progress much faster than the right side. Not because it's in much better condition (it isn't) but because I more or less know where to cut and what to do now.

Started off by getting some bracing in on the left side. I had run out of all the small diameter square tubing so I ended up using some really big thin-ish wall tubing. I guess it eliminates the need for plates at each end to weld to the inside of the car. Seems really solid.

I did have to cut out a small hole for the windshield winder shafter so I just tacked on an angle in that location to make sure I didn't weaken the tubing. Then I took an angle grinder to the front part of the inner sill.

Now the interesting part... Some of you may remember back when I first started the metal work on the right side that I noticed the presence of a thick bar. Well turns out that was part of a previous repair to the subframe box. My guess is that the subframe box rotted away but instead of removing it they sleeved it with thick square tube and then slid in these thick bars along the front and side of the box and welded it in to try and keep things rigid. Surprisingly this seems to have worked because when driving the car there was no squeaking or rattling coming from that side of the car/ no indication that the subframe box was unsound (unlike with the right side which made noises over every bump). Here's a picture of half of it; I used the plasma torch to cut it in half, which made getting it free pretty easy.

So that's the extent of the work I did on the body this weekend. Going to attempt to get everything cleaned up and make a new A pillar support next weekend and start getting the front part rebuilt. While using the plasma torch I took breaks to try and not put too much heat into the car and worked on getting the carbs and accessories on my engine. I didn't really think about the angle when I tacked the engine supports in place. This means the engine is straight up but the carbs are now 45 degrees downward. I'm assuming I will have to tilt the engine back over for the carb floats to work properly/ before I can start the engine?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming I will have to tilt the engine back over for the carb floats to work properly/ before I can start the engine?
    Yes. You can't run it with the engine centerline vertical; the carbs need to be slightly angled -- but the other way
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information