Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    hopefully you have some experience with painting?
    doing the engine bay is kind of a double edge blade. on one side, there's not as much pressure to produce a perfect finish, but on the other side, there's a lot of nooks and crannies that are tough to cover well without getting too much on the surrounding metal and running the paint. i paint a lot of different machinery as part of my work and it has similarities to this. so what i do is cover the inside corners and mostly hidden areas first with a couple of coats and let it flash a little. then cover the rest but mostly ignoring all those spots i already did. if the timing is right it will melt together and you won't get a dry edge. i might use a slow reducer here to help me with the timing.
    My experience in painting engine bays includes only me painting the engine bay with epoxy primer. For the most part that turned out very good except for a couple areas with runs caused by exactly what you've described above. Of course, I did exactly the opposite and painted the easy to get areas first, resulting in excess paint being applied to areas already coated while I was trying to get to the hard to get areas.

I'll talk to my uncle about it as well.. He paints a lot and I may see if he will spray the engine bay for me. I'd probably have asked him to paint the repair areas as well but he doesn't have experience blending paint, just painting things all at once.

8/23 Edit: Talked to the painter again and he is going to meet me early-ish on Saturday. I talked to him a bit and he really is having issues with the older truck he uses as his daily. Hopefully all goes well when he sees the car tomorrow and I can get some paint on this thing this upcoming week or next weekend at the latest.

In the meantime tons of parts are headed to get sandblasted and I have some some black paint than I can spray them all at once with after they come back and get primed.
    Last edited by Taddraughn; 23rd August 2019 at 04:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Put in a long day of work today sanding and getting everything as good as I could before primer. My paint guy came by this morning as he has managed to fix his old truck with a new distributor and coil. He was very helpful in telling me exactly what to do in order to get ready for paint. Plan is for me to prime, block, and then sand out areas that need to be cleared with the repairs to 1000 grit. After that he'll help me prep the car one afternoon next week, and then we'll spray it probably next Saturday.

I sanded out the runs in the engine bay and finished scuffing the epoxy primer and areas that I hadn't gotten well previously. I used rolled tape to help with transitions, covered everything to prevent overspray, and then shot primer on the sills, hood, arches, and cowl. One excpetion is that I had a hard time getting tape to stick to the undercoating so I just gave up and allowed some overspray; No big deal because I can just touch up with more undercoating and it will be invisible.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't usually work on the car on week nights, but yesterday afternoon I stayed down till almost 10PM after work to finish wet sanding all primer to 600 and get all areas that my paint guy intends to clear with 1000 grit. This area was quite large and included basically the entire front of the car and the back of the car up to the body line. He said if we blended on the panel that it may be likely in a year or two that the repair would start to show, so he prefers to use a little more product and clear to a body line or the whole panel.

Ended up using mostly a gray scotchbrite for the engine bay and it seemed to do fine. Lots of areas that are hard to sand at all, but I think it's going to be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you removing the trim below the door (seems like that could be a problem area). I'd be tempted to go all in and paint the whole thing at this point. Hopefully all's well that blends well. I'll just show myself out..

Also, what kind of jack stands are those? Look pretty serious, can you raise them when the car is on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    Are you removing the trim below the door (seems like that could be a problem area). I'd be tempted to go all in and paint the whole thing at this point.
    After the ordeal of removing it on the other side, I'm going to leave the trim on and just tape it very carefully. If I remove it now, it will require filler, glaze, primer, etc etc. My dad said the same thing about painting the whole car.. I guess it could be done but I feel like the result will not be dissimilar from a good blend and clearing over the whole panel.

Hopefully all's well that blends well. I'll just show myself out..
    Lol it's too early to be hitting me with puns like that. I haven't even finished my second cup of coffee (takes ~3 cups before I become a functional human)

I can't recall the brand of the jack stands, but I can check if you're interested. They are indeed pretty heavy duty, my uncle just had them lying around so I used them. You can adjust height with the handles while the car is on it, but for major adjustments you have to lift the car and move a pin.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you removing the trim below the door (seems like that could be a problem area). I'd be tempted to go all in and paint the whole thing at this point. Hopefully all's well that blends well. I'll just show myself out..

Also, what kind of jack stands are those? Look pretty serious, can you raise them when the car is on?
    those stands aren't really automotive design. they have v blocks up top for supporting pipe or round bar. we use them for metalworking all the time. very heavy duty, acme thread, keep them greased and you can lift a lot of weight with them.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    those stands aren't really automotive design. they have v blocks up top for supporting pipe or round bar. we use them for metalworking all the time. very heavy duty, acme thread, keep them greased and you can lift a lot of weight with them.
    The V block was perfect for the little frame I made that bolts into the subframe boxes. In the back I used square tube so I just put a couple tacks on the V part to make sure it wouldn't move around.

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeeeezzzzzz........ I’m beginning to feel excited to see the paint on it, and I’m just an innocent bystander. I can imagine how you must be feeling.

I painted my first car when I was 17. It was my '57 Dodge station wagon, which I bought for fifty bucks in '72, and which was the size of the battleship Potemkin. I was completely unsupervised because I figured there couldn’t be much to it. So I was sitting cross-legged on the roof of the car, spraying the subtle grass-green paint when the paint container separated from the gun and poured a litre of paint all over the roof and down the sides. Apres-paint, most of the car became a public menace because it had a texture of sandpaper that was downright hazardous—except the area where the paint spilled, which looked a bit like those Chianti bottles we used to use for candlesticks. Haven’t painted a car since!
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Professorgearhead View Post
    Jeeeezzzzzz........ I’m beginning to feel excited to see the paint on it, and I’m just an innocent bystander. I can imagine how you must be feeling.

I painted my first car when I was 17. It was my '57 Dodge station wagon, which I bought for fifty bucks in '72, and which was the size of the battleship Potemkin. I was completely unsupervised because I figured there couldn’t be much to it. So I was sitting cross-legged on the roof of the car, spraying the subtle grass-green paint when the paint container separated from the gun and poured a litre of paint all over the roof and down the sides. Apres-paint, most of the car became a public menace because it had a texture of sandpaper that was downright hazardous—except the area where the paint spilled, which looked a bit like those Chianti bottles we used to use for candlesticks. Haven’t painted a car since!
    I'm excited to get the paint on but a bit nervous about the result at the same time. I also feel like I've been sanding for ages and I almost don't even care how it looks as long as I don't have to do anymore sanding lol. I probably won't ever prep another car for paint if I can help it (or unless I forget how much I dislike it and need reminding).

That experience sounds pretty traumatic, but it sounds like you turned the car into a work of modern art! (plus it makes for a good story). I'm also interested in what eventually happened to the wagon, assuming you aren't still driving it around.. Did you convince someone to buy it from you?

Master Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

“That experience sounds pretty traumatic, but it sounds like you turned the car into a work of modern art! (plus it makes for a good story). I'm also interested in what eventually happened to the wagon, assuming you aren't still driving it around.. Did you convince someone to buy it from you?”

One day, second gear went (it was a “three on the tree”). I figured I’d just rebuild the transmission (having no knowledge, experience, advice, or brains, apparently). I put the car on blocks, undid the driveshaft, undid the bolts holding the tranny to the engine, tied a rope to the tranny, the other end to a borrowed pick-up truck, and gave the whole thing a good pull. I had unfortunately undone the wrong bolts and the entire tranny opened up and spilled its innards all over the dirt at the side of the house. At that point I gave the car away to the local car wrecker. He put the engine in his tow truck, and blew it up a week later. The rest of the car went to that great crusher in the sky. It was my first car, and I loved it.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Thread Information