Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Taddraughn's Fulvia Coupe: Progress Thread

Alas the car is not driving yet; Always much more to do than I realize. Bending the brake lines to go around the pistons/calipers took quite some time, but I did not want to go quickly and have them look bad. Very happy with the results and no interference with the wheels

I got the exhaust all bolted up, and there's plenty of clearance between it and the fuel lines/fuel pump. I still am going to make a shield for it soon, but am working on more essential items first.

I got the pedal bushings from the machine shop friday and those ran me 65 bucks with tax. Not too bad, but I'll probably have a go at turning them myself with a razor sharp HSS lathe tool in the future if I need anymore. Made out of MDS filled nylon and I added MDS powder when assembling. No play at all and the pedals move freely!

I got all the wiring done in the front of the car with the exception of plugging in the headlights. Since I have an alternator and have no use for a the voltage regulator, I made the old voltage regulator plate hold my battery cut off switch.

Progress was partially foiled by not having anyone to help me Sunday and partially foiled by my fiance wanting me to take her to the MS state fair. The fair was nice though. A lady with no teeth served me a corn dog, I was forced to eat a deep fried oreo, I got to watch some small pigs race, and a camel ate a carrot slice out of my hand... Definitely worth taking half a day off working on my car lol.

The hardware that holds in the steering column requires two people to tighten and likewise the brakes cannot be bled with just one person.
    Hopefully I can get someone to help me out Tuesday afternoon to knock out the rest of the items I have left to get the car driving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably missed a post somewhere, but are you fitting an electric cooling fan now you can't run a belt off the alternator.?
    Love your workmanship.
    You probably know already but make sure you well lubricate the handbrake adjusting screw as they are a sod for seizing, and you can also adjust the screw with the wheel on, I've painted the heads of mine yellow so you can see them easily through the slots in the wheel.
    Brian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    Probably missed a post somewhere, but are you fitting an electric cooling fan now you can't run a belt off the alternator.?
    Love your workmanship.
    You probably know already but make sure you well lubricate the handbrake adjusting screw as they are a sod for seizing, and you can also adjust the screw with the wheel on, I've painted the heads of mine yellow so you can see them easily through the slots in the wheel.
    Brian
    Yes, I'm going to run a modern SPAL fan with thermostat switch in the pump housing. Thanks Brian! I'm very happy with how everything is turning out.

Nice tip painting the head yellow so you can see them easily. I will make sure I get plenty of anti-sieze on those threads!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

3 days left dude!
    You'll make it
    The 12th at the car show, you'll grab the biggest beer ever while looking at the tone of work you've done, and you'll have a smile for the entire day!

We are with you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by osgii View Post
    3 days left dude!
    You'll make it
    The 12th at the car show, you'll grab the biggest beer ever while looking at the tone of work you've done, and you'll have a smile for the entire day!

We are with you.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I took off work today to work on it and I do think I can still make it to the show. I'm definitely ready for a break from working on it so much though..

Today I took care of lots of the little things like routing the accelerator and choke cables, etc. Got the fuel neck in and poured in some fuel. After wiring the fuel pump in to the fuse box I started the car up and it sounds great!

Tuned the carbs till I got the mixture where I think it's at least close to right. Previously the car didnt idle and I had to keep the choke on. Now itll idle steady at 800-1000 rpm.

The only issue I ran into was after I got all the brakes bled I noticed one fitting going into one of the banjo bolts on the master was weeping. Could not get it to stop so looks like I'm going to have to remake that one brake line :/

Really just need to get the brakes fixed and the car will be drive-able. Hope to accomplish that tomorrow afternoon after work and then I can focus on getting the interior back together friday afternoon.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work.
    If you haven't already, remember to wipe the nice newly machined discs squeaky clean with brake cleaner before driving.
    Nice finish underneath - was it POR15? - can't remember.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by willn View Post
    Nice work.
    If you haven't already, remember to wipe the nice newly machined discs squeaky clean with brake cleaner before driving.
    Nice finish underneath - was it POR15? - can't remember.
    Thanks! I wiped them a couple days ago but have worked on them since then so I'll make sure to hit them again before driving it today.

I took it to bare metal and then did Zero Rust paint instead of POR15. Then I went over the top of that with 3M asphalt based undercoating. Took quite a few cans of the undercoating to do the whole undersize and the wheel wells.

Downloads
    Uploads

Small day-before-the-show update:

Yesterday afternoon I managed to fix the leaky brake line. The line itself looked flawless but the double banjo fitting has seen better days (irregular looking cones, etc. ) Probably should be replaced eventually. I put a new end on the line and under-flared it on the tool on purpose so that tightening the bolt would deform the copper onto the sealing surface. Maybe that worked or maybe I just got lucky but it's not leaking now!

After that I set up the handbrake system. With brand new handbrake pads it was difficult to get the long slotted screw started in the nut, but I managed to get it.

So today I just need to get final torque on the hub nuts (found a big 200ft-lbs and above torque wrench to borrow). and put on the spacer, pin, and lock nut. Then I can throw the interior pieces in the car and drive it to the house!

Plan is to drive it to my house and give it a good wash, then spend the evening trying to get the interior assembled. No way I'll get it 100% complete, but just trying to get all the carpets, dash pieces, switches, etc. back into the car. I'll be sure to post an update from the show, if i make it there!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Taddraughn View Post
    ...I'll be sure to post an update from the show, if i make it there!
    It's been an amazing project to watch. There are a lot of guys pulling for you.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Friday afternoon I got the car mechanically finished up and ready to drive. I did a few short test drives and with everything working as expected, I drove the car to my house. After having a little dinner I set up for a long night of interior assembly.

I'd worked so hard to get it to this point so I wasn't going to let a little sleep deprivation keep me from achieving my goal. Around 3:30AM I got it to a point that I was satisfied with and went to bed. This morning I got my show packet early and parked my car in the specified spot. I got there before most of the cars so my fiancé picked me up and we went to the house for coffee and breakfast. Great turn out for the show this year especially the British section, but as always the Italian section (excluding Ferraris) was small. Other Italian cars included an awesome 1958 alfa giulietta veloce convertible and an alfa jr zagato!

I was expecting that at least a few people would be interested in the car or be intrigued by the unconventional engine and layout, etc. but I was amazed at just how many people asked questions about it, had owned one before and wanted to chat, or people who just loved the look of it and stopped to say so. It was really great to get so much good feedback about the work I've done. A lot my friends, family, and coworkers stopped by during the day to see it as well.

The car is certainly not complete yet, but this is a huge milestone for me and I'm going to take some time to slow down, relax for a bit, and put some kilometers on the car! Really want to thank you guys for keeping my motivated throughout this whole project and offering technical advice on so many things. I really don't think I would have gotten it done in time for the show if not for all the encouragement here. I'm gonna get some sleep now lol.

Here are some bonus pictures of the junior zagato.

Thread Information