Thread: Fulvia petrol smell

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fulvia petrol smell

Hi, first time back to the forum for some years - have had my 1.3 1971 body restored, which took an age, and will take even longer to pay for! (CHT595J, although I'm not convinced that has always been the registration)

Anyway, what I need your help with is - my garage stinks of petrol - there was a leak from the castle nut where the filler hose joined the tank underneath - tightened it up by hand, drip stopped. garage still smells of petrol whenever the Fulvia is in there - can't see any leaks, it's working fine - where is it likely to be from, please? Possibly worse when I've just refuelled.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Fulvia petrol smell

It takes only an extremely tiny amount of fuel to smell it; you can smell an almost insignificant amount of fuel that you couldn't actually see. Possibly the connection still leaks extremely slowly so that you can't see any dripping (it may evaporate before it becomes a droplet), but it still may be there. If there was definitely a problem at the connection to start with, I would look further into it if it is really cured:

1. tightening by hand doesn't sound sufficient to me. I would try to get the key for that kind of nut (a good hardware store got these, and it wouldn't cost a lot) and tighten more seriously. Don't overdo it however.
    2. There is a rubber seal between the tube and the tank, and that is prone to deteriorate with age (and maybe also modern fuels?). The annoying thing is you got to empty the tank first to get at it (but that is not a really big deal, there is a drain (and filter) plug.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know if this helps. We had the same smell in our garage and we were not able to solve it until it got much worse. Turned out that we had some weeping of fuel from the diaphragm of the fuel pump. Then one day, it started spraying fuel out the side of the pump when the engine was running. I replaced the fuel pump and the smell is gone.
    Life's too short to drive boring cars. Nothing boring: 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3, 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Porsche 914, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1979 Triumph Spitfire, 1966 Lotus Elan, 2005 Lotus Elise, 2003 Jaguar XKR

Downloads
    Uploads

You can try tightening up the large nut with a suitable size jubilee clip, I assume the castlenated nut is plastic, undo the jubilee clip and put around the plastic nut, carefully tighten to grip the plastic nut it should give you a bit more grip if you can't find a suitable tool. Have you checked the breather pipes attached to the tank that exit near the filler tube?

If you are in Dorking you are welcome to come to the Lancia Motor Club, Surrey meeting on 21st June at the Surrey Oaks at Parkgate, Newdigate from 8pm, there will be some Fulvia experts on hand.
    Last edited by NeilS; 11th June 2018 at 05:44 AM.

Thread Information