Thread: Replace stock exhaust manifold with what?

Downloads
    Uploads

Replace stock exhaust manifold with what?

Today, after having a fun and hard drive home from the Nordic Lancia meeting, in pure excitement, my Fulvia cracked its exhaust manifold and started sounding like a moped

I want to use this chance, to get a little better performance - but not extreme exhaust noise! (The crowl from the trumpets is what I like + maybe 10% more deep raddle)

I've searched and read old threads, and understand that it should be mild steel, not stainless (ring ring noisy) and should be designed, so it's possible to install insitu, not having to take off the subframe.

I'm properly not so fortunate, that all above demands can be met + the possibility to fit it to the stock middle piping and back?

Would like to hear where I should get my new exhaust manifold! Thanks.
    Last edited by Norvox; 9th June 2018 at 02:57 PM.
    Nikolaj Skovron
    1971 Lancia Fulvia 1,3S Coupe

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Replace stock exhaust manifold with what?

Nice to meet you today and chat Fulvia!

Omicron do Gp4 in mild steel which on my 1600 comes in at 98db at 4500 rpm. The whole system needs buying as the manifold does not line up with a standard system. I believe a manifold can be bought from Vere lancia in Holland which is Stainless but this will not sound tinny as it is the main pipe and middle box that gives most ringing....

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

After considering, I choose Christos Skriapas in Greece, who have also made my adjustable lower A-arms in the past.

He will built a replica works group 4 manifold in mild steel, that will fit right into the stock exhaust.

Only downside, is that the engine shall be raised 5 cm to install it. But should be no big project.

Will give feedback as to the performance and sound change, when I recieve it from Greece in app. 10 days.
    Nikolaj Skovron

Downloads
    Uploads

So just a small update, too anyone considering the group 4 manifold, it is a TIGHT fit and will require minor grinding of some elements like the tower. But it finally went into place and I may be somewhat biased, but can feel it has better flow - and the sound is just a level deeper (kept the factory middle and rear boxes) So, I'm happy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZYpJb4I.jpg  
    Nikolaj Skovron

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

will you be able to get some clearance from that subframe crossmember? i wouldn't want to leave it pressing down. i understand the tight fit, i just did my exhaust manifold and down tube. the new manifold flange was at a slightly different position so i had to re-work the downtube to keep it from hitting the subframe. tight fit even for stock replacement parts, i can't imagine squeezing that one you did in there.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suceeded by cutting the tip of the top black crossmember (not visible and not taking away strength from it) Also, I positioned 2 shims on the engine mount nearby, just to raise it 1 mm..
    Nikolaj Skovron

Thread Information