Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should these springs be on the carbs?

Active Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Should these springs be on the carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by fay66 View Post
    My apologies, I stand corrected, haven't looked at solexes lately as I fitted Dellorto 32 DHLA's,
    Have you checked the accelerator pedal itself? The plastic bushes behind the pedal get very sticky and swell, this causes the sort of problem you. mention, changed mine for tiny roller bearings about 15 years ago, and no problems since then.
    Brian
    Thank you for that, Brian. I haven’t checked that end, but suspect the pedal bushes, or the throttle cable may, in fact be the culprits. The main thing is knowing it isn’t supposed to be that way. Now I can work backwards.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

I only now noticed the thread. Those springs are to be there, and yes, they are quite stiff (in my opinion a bit more stiff than they need to be, I normally replace them with a very slightly less strong one). They are throttle return springs (not choke return springs as Brian was thinking).

It is open for debate why they are needed. Those that have seen the very early C.32 PHH carbs on the 2C will find there are no such return springs... They where added in the evolution of the Solex C.32/C.35/C.42 PHH/DDHF carbs. It may have been as a safeguarding measure, to make sure the throttle will close if the main throttle return spring would break. Personally, I rather think they are there to remove any play in the return to idle.

They are the source of the main problem with the DDHF carbs: the brass bushings for the spindle do wear out by their strong sideways pulling force, giving spindle play (usually quite excessive). About all C.42 DDHF carbs I had in my hands have it.

The bushes are not easy to replace, as they go all the way trough the body in the spindle holes, and so they need to have the correct curvature of the barrel. It is assumed that the bushes were fitted by Solex before the barrels were turned out, making the bushes a perfect fit being turned them out together with the barrel. Solex didn't provide spare parts for the bushes, they were apparently considered integral parts of the body.

It took me years to figure out how to make and replace the bushes, but now I am able to make them and fit them reasonably correctly with some specific tooling I obtained / made myself.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting only recently got a Fulvia and had the same problem.
    There is a large spring on the right angled linkage thattakes throttle control from cable to rod.
    This had been assembled with one too many turns. Needed twofeet to operate throttle!
    Reduced spring by one turn - now great.

Active Lancista Professorgearhead's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marnix: guess what: my throttle spindles have play in them. I was going to get the correct reamers and do the job myself (first time I would have done this sort of job), but you’ve rather scared me off. I certainly don’t want to mess it up.
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    '72 Lancia Fulvia 1600

Downloads
    Uploads

No intention of scaring you off. We all have to learn how to do it. What did you have in mind doing? Actually, there are several options being used apart from making and fitting new bushes... I have tendency to chose the most difficult option most of the time...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information