Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on some Fulvia maintenance

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need advice on some Fulvia maintenance

I recently took my Fulvia in to a shop to have an inspection done. They basically went over the car with a fine tooth comb and told me all of the things that needed to be replaced / tended to. I am going to have the shop do some of the work, but wanted inquire about doing a few of the things myself.

One main area the shop focused on were all of the bushings...they're all shot. This includes the subframe bushings, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, and leaf spring mounts. I of course knew this as the car does not ride very well, especially compared to other Fulvias I've driven. The suspension is noisy, somewhat rough, etc.

Replacing the subframe bushings seems like a massive job (requiring dropping the subframe?) so I will likely put that on hold for now.

I was considering (bang for the buck stuff) replacing the leaf spring mounts/bushings myself. How hard is this job? Is it do-able by a single person? It doesn't look too difficult, but wanted to check with people that have done it before.

I'll likely have other questions as I dig into this!

EDIT: 1971 Fulvia S2
    Last edited by PatrickT; 17th May 2018 at 09:53 AM.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Need advice on some Fulvia maintenance

If you are talking about the rubber bush/link between the end of the leaf spring and the wishbone then it is simple in theory but reality can be different.... The spring needs clamping solidly, the need to do this properly cannot be overstressed. With this done and assuming the fasteners are free then it is a one man job. Regarding the subframe bushes, these are well over engineered and whilst they do degrade to say 'they are all shot' seems extreme.. As you say to replace them all is a big job.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
    I recently took my Fulvia in to a shop to have an inspection done. They basically went over the car with a fine tooth comb and told me all of the things that needed to be replaced / tended to. I am going to have the shop do some of the work, but wanted inquire about doing a few of the things myself.

One main area the shop focused on were all of the bushings...they're all shot. This includes the subframe bushings, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, and leaf spring mounts. I of course knew this as the car does not ride very well, especially compared to other Fulvias I've driven. The suspension is noisy, somewhat rough, etc.

Replacing the subframe bushings seems like a massive job (requiring dropping the subframe?) so I will likely put that on hold for now.

I was considering (bang for the buck stuff) replacing the leaf spring mounts/bushings myself. How hard is this job? Is it do-able by a single person? It doesn't look too difficult, but wanted to check with people that have done it before.

I'll likely have other questions as I dig into this!

Downloads
    Uploads

Front spring to wishbone is easier if it is S2 car. You dont say what Fulvia you have?

If you are talking rear spring bushes ?????

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-m View Post
    If you are talking about the rubber bush/link between the end of the leaf spring and the wishbone then it is simple in theory but reality can be different.... The spring needs clamping solidly, the need to do this properly cannot be overstressed. With this done and assuming the fasteners are free then it is a one man job. Regarding the subframe bushes, these are well over engineered and whilst they do degrade to say 'they are all shot' seems extreme.. As you say to replace them all is a big job.
    I think I would be replacing the front leaf spring mounts and the rear leaf spring front and rear mounts.

You're right, that might be a bit too extreme. What I can say is that the rubber on the subframe mounts (and engine mounts) are severely cracked and feel fairly hard. The engine is sitting a bit too low as well, indicating that the mounts are worn.

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Front spring to wishbone is easier if it is S2 car. You dont say what Fulvia you have?

If you are talking rear spring bushes ?????
    I have an S2. I am hoping to replace the front spring mounts/bushings and the rear spring mounts/bushings (front and rear).

Downloads
    Uploads

If you intend to replace both subframe bushings and front transverse spring mount bushings, the best way to do it in my opinion is to drop the whole subframe. This will allow you to easily replace the subframe bushings upon reinstallation and gain better access to the spring mounts. A bit of searching here will demonstrate how to do both jobs. Dropping the subframe is not hard, nor is replacement of the spring mounts but both take careful planning (especially the replacement of the transverse spring mounts which takes some ingenuity in the name of self preservation (finger) kind of way as there is a lot of tension here - again you'll find the process detailed in various threads). This assumes you have access and knowledge of basic tools, a garage etc.

Senior Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

When we replaced mine it was fortunate that there was no health and safety officer around. Our method involved a bottle jack!
    I was acutely aware of how dangerous it was at the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

with an S2 you can use a strong chain wrapped round the front spring (after compressing it by jacking the wishbone) and the upper bump stop. Retain the chain by bolting through. Use engineering common sense.... M8 bolt washers double nuts etc. Take the jack away and the spring is held so you can replace the rubber bit between spring and upper wishbone. On S1 you need the tool that bolts in place of the upper bump stop.... Just my way of doing it. You do it at your risk.

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by boulderz View Post
    If you intend to replace both subframe bushings and front transverse spring mount bushings, the best way to do it in my opinion is to drop the whole subframe. This will allow you to easily replace the subframe bushings upon reinstallation and gain better access to the spring mounts. A bit of searching here will demonstrate how to do both jobs. Dropping the subframe is not hard, nor is replacement of the spring mounts but both take careful planning (especially the replacement of the transverse spring mounts which takes some ingenuity in the name of self preservation (finger) kind of way as there is a lot of tension here - again you'll find the process detailed in various threads). This assumes you have access and knowledge of basic tools, a garage etc.
    Not intending to do the subframe bushings at this time, just the leaf spring bushings and mounts. I'll search around, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kev1_3s View Post
    When we replaced mine it was fortunate that there was no health and safety officer around. Our method involved a bottle jack!
    I was acutely aware of how dangerous it was at the time.
    Yikes. With the car jacked up, is there a lot of preload on the springs?

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    with an S2 you can use a strong chain wrapped round the front spring (after compressing it by jacking the wishbone) and the upper bump stop. Retain the chain by bolting through. Use engineering common sense.... M8 bolt washers double nuts etc. Take the jack away and the spring is held so you can replace the rubber bit between spring and upper wishbone. On S1 you need the tool that bolts in place of the upper bump stop.... Just my way of doing it. You do it at your risk.
    Thanks for the advice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post

Yikes. With the car jacked up, is there a lot of preload on the springs?
    Yes. We did mine (with the subframe dropped) with a pair of huge (12") C clamps at each end --with each pair facing each other to restrain anything from heading sideways...
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Yes. We did mine (with the subframe dropped) with a pair of huge (12") C clamps at each end --with each pair facing each other to restrain anything from heading sideways...
    I would not use C clamps as they may snap

Thread Information