Thread: Hesitation under load

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hesitation under load

Hello, I have recently been experiencing a transient loss of power after driving for 15 or so minutes, when the car is under load in 5th gear at about 65-70 mph. All of a sudden, the car will sound like it’s starved of fuel. I still have oil pressure, and if I push the clutch in the car is still running at idle. I can rev just fine in neutral, and usually within 10-15 seconds, the problem goes away. The first time it happened was on a long flat freeway, and I actually though I must be out of gas. This morning it happened again on my way into work, on a long uphill.

The car has been dead reliable up to this point, although it does tend to sit for weeks in between use. It has an electric fuel pump, which was until recently running through the mechanical pump, which I have since removed and put in a block off plate.

The only other possibly related issue issue is the lights dimming with idle rpms, and my voltage light coming on just faintly when I use my turn signals when my headlights are on.

Thoughts? 72 Fulvia Montecarlo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AE47BA4-E17A-4908-B948-E9669E1231E9.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	987.3 KB 
ID:	13709

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hesitation under load

Well, I drove the car into work to try and shake down what the problem was. On my way home the next morning, I started to hear some valvetrain noise at lower RPMs and a noticible loss of power. Oil pressure is good, and plenty of oil. Car not overheating. Pulled over now awaiting a tow. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Hesitation under load

Very hard to diagnose from a distance I am afraid

If you suspect fuel starvation somehow, checking the whole fuel supply chain is the obvious first step.

But if the car is starting to makes unusual noises too, then it may be something entirely different.

The worst problems are those that are not there all the time, but turn up from time to time (usually at the least convenient moments)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information