Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yet another Tire Question....

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Yet another Tire Question....

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Another possibility for a replica alloy would be the 5.5 Campagnolo used on the 1,3HF. Roin makes them in aluminum:
    http://www.rointechnology.com/indexx...g&marca=lancia
    the 5.5" width means you could run either 165-14 or 185/70-14, though the latter would be a safer choice, And of course the 1/2" narrower width suggests there’d be no clearance issues.
    This is a 13" wheel and will not fit S2 girling brakes let alone 14" tyres!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

The problem for those of us with the S1 1,6 is that remaining original means sticking with 13" alloys. They were originally mounted with 175-13 Michelin XAS, which is a size Michelin hasn’t reissued. I’ve been running the only available equivalent: Kumho 185/70-13 R800 rally tires. They look great, but they’re gravel-spec tires, so they have reinforced sidewalls that offer next to no compliance. I finally got so tired of the lousy ride that I’ve now switched to (smaller diameter) 185/70-13 CN36 – from Longstone. Final judgment will have to await more miles, but so far they’re performing brilliantly.
    let me know how those work out for you ed, you might remember i'm running those 13" rims too. when i first recommissioned the car i put some toyos on it so i could get it going, but i'm not happy with the ride quality. the arch clearance is probably different with the sport than the coupe, but it's the ride quality i'm trying to get sorted.
    i was eyeballing the same cn36, but haven't made up my mind...
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    "Out of spec" does not mean they do not work so I disagree these cannot be considered. I did over 5000km in 7 days in my 1600 Sport this summer all over Europe (fast and challenging) running 165 80 14's on the 6j cromodoras. They were fitted a couple of years ago by my tyre fitter who is ex police and does not consider it is out of spec.

I am currentlly restoring my Cromodora 13x6j Wheels, and decided to buy a Michelin XAS 165 (80) 13 for my spare Wheel (for the boot).
    For the spare Wheel I felt thus narrower, thus better.
    I support Tim in that it dont appear to be much too narrow for this rims. I reckon the rather high 80% sidewalls compensate on my 13 inch rims. I also had my tyre fitter to fit it before I started working on my.

Here is some pics taken while applying a ruler along the rim:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	14097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	14098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	14099

For the XAS spare Wheel I have also bougth the inner tube and the tube rubber protective rimtape. All in all a Nice and neat sparewheel, but a costly one.

The 4 tyres I have choosen for the car is Yokohama 175/70R13 Bluearth ES32. This tyres is reasonable prized, easy to get around here and have good ratings from People who bougth them.

Cheers

Tor

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought S2 coupes ran 165 14 80’s as standard? S1 was 145 14 80. Re cromodoras these naturally size 175 up, but you can get them to work down to 165 (I run 165 14 80 on my sport on the 6 J). Bear in mind the 6j was designed specifically for the 1 deg neg HF camber suspension set up, wh8ch may be incidental if you just want to “show”.
    Ah yes, you're right. I took the 145 discussion from earlier in the thread and applied it to my car incorrectly. That changes things a bit as the price differential goes up (the CA67s get more expensive).

If the reissued Michelin XAS were available in the original 175-13 size, I’d run those on my 1,6HF. And I really didn’t want to go to a smaller overall diameter. But there’s not much choice; 185-13 XAS foul the front arches, and as I mentioned above the gravel-spec 195/70-13 Kumhos were too harsh. So there’s no good alternative to 185/70-13, which leaves the absurdly expensive Michelin XDX or the CN36, which is the tire the works cars ran on intermediate surfaces. Not a tough choice; as I said, I just bought a set of CN36 from Longstone.

As far as your tire choice is concerned, the S2 Coupé came standard with either Michelin ZX or Pirelli CF57. Unless I’m mistaken, the "F" for "fabric" is now "A" for "Aramid," which means the CA67 is in effect an updated original-spec tire. Sounds like the perfect choice. But the correct size for the S2 is 165-14 – not 145, so that choice is no choice at all, assuming you're running the original steels...

There would be no clearance issues with the 6 x 14 Cromodoras, per se; they were designed to clear the S2 Girling brake calipers. Whether or not they’ll foul the wheel arches is a function of the tire size. You can’t run 165s; they’re out of spec for a 6" rim. You’d probably be OK with the equivalent 185/70-14, which would give you a decent range of tire choices, both modern and classic. It’s possible there could be some rubbing at max compression or max lock; I simply couldn’t say. But because it has a more rounded shoulder, you’d probably have better odds with the 185/70-14 CN36.

Another possibility for a replica alloy would be the 5.5 Campagnolo used on the 1,3HF. Roin makes them in aluminum:
    http://www.rointechnology.com/indexx...g&marca=lancia
    the 5.5" width means you could run either 165-14 or 185/70-14, though the latter would be a safer choice, And of course the 1/2" narrower width suggests there’d be no clearance issues.
    Thanks Ed. Unfortunately the CA67s are $185/tire (vs $140/tire for the Vredsteins).

The Roin wheels look like they are 13", but I love them. I know that tire choices are much more limited in 13" size, but I generally prefer the look of Fulvias on 13s. There's also the potential problem of them fitting over S2 brakes...

"Out of spec" does not mean they do not work so I disagree these cannot be considered. I did over 5000km in 7 days in my 1600 Sport this summer all over Europe (fast and challenging) running 165 80 14's on the 6j cromodoras. They were fitted a couple of years ago by my tyre fitter who is ex police and does not consider it is out of spec.
    Good to know, thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Have a look at these. A lot of Fulvia drivers over in UK/Europe use them.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/ty...rum-brillantis

I run them on my Sport 1600 and they work well.

Longstone have them too so shipping to US should not be a problem....

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats an interesting option, thanks!

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If considering 165-14, I'd also look at Vredestein Sprint Classic. I have those (in a different size) on my Lotus Elan and love them. Great feeling, perfect feel for that age of car. They are also very available here in the USA at Coker & other locations. {I did not go that route because of my insistence on the 145 size tire and as I stated, I'm very happy with the Pirelli's that I got}
    Life's too short to drive boring cars. Nothing boring: 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3, 1969 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Porsche 914, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1979 Triumph Spitfire, 1966 Lotus Elan, 2005 Lotus Elise, 2003 Jaguar XKR

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkMan View Post
    If considering 165-14, I'd also look at Vredestein Sprint Classic. I have those (in a different size) on my Lotus Elan and love them. Great feeling, perfect feel for that age of car. They are also very available here in the USA at Coker & other locations. {I did not go that route because of my insistence on the 145 size tire and as I stated, I'm very happy with the Pirelli's that I got}
    Yeah, those are top of my list at the moment. A few people I know have them on their Alfas and love them!

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim’s quite right about the linked Roins being 13" and therefore not working on an S2; don’t how I blanked on that...

Brian, you might take this with a grain of salt, as the gravel tires I switched from had reinforced sidewalls with so little compliance they could have run without air in them. Every other tire on the planet has a better ride. That said, I’ll know better when I put on some canyon miles on them this weekend, but so far I’m really delighted with the CN36.

As far as the 165-13 XAS being out-of-spec for a 6" wheel, I can only refer you to Michelin’s own docs:
    https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range/XAS
    And you’ll note that the same is true of 165-14.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information