Thread: Delta Road Trip

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Delta Road Trip

I recently returned from taking my Delta on a western US 2000+ km road trip. I drove from the Denver area across the Rocky Mtns to southwest Utah and explored Zion Nat Park on foot. The car was generally fantastic, and caused no troubles. While the 8V is not the fastest of all Deltas, the car is very light and what horsepower it does have (170? 180?) is perfectly placed for touring. Though I've enjoyed the car in other facets, it made a surprisingly capable long distance grand tourer. It easily swallowed gear and luggage for two people using only the trunk, and pulled uphill through mutliple mountain passes without complaint. Even at 10,000 feet it can accelerate uphill.

There is a bit of wind noise coming around the corners of the windscreen at high speed, and some light wind whistle from the rear/top of the front doors, especially noticable driving into some serious headwind while going 130 - 140kph. Otherwise, engine and road noise were not intrusive. While the car seems "revvy" compared to more modern offerings, 3000-3500 rpm is smooth and just in the powerband for acceleration if needed, without feeling peaky. The steering, a highlight of my Delta, always felt great - be it on the interstate or some of Utah's amazing secondary roads. A recently added set of Nokian winter tires were very competent in the warm and dry, and lifesaves in the two snowstorms I drove through crossing the rockies. Though I never had braking troubles, the addition of ABS would make for an amazingly competent machine.

Complaints are small, even after so many hours in the cockpit. As every magazine notes, the tachometer is unreadable over 4,000rpm - but you can shift by feel and not be afraid. The location of the window switches for the front windows is plain stupid. You can't actually reach the rear window winders from the driver seat, so they remain set where you left them when you started your drive. The two storage cubbies in the dash fit nothing modern (alas!), and the 'tray' in front of the glovebox is excellent for launching any items there onto the floor when cornering. The grab handles above the doors are fragile and not really strong enough to be used for any reason - ingress, egrees, cornering mayhem. The fan continues to amaze me with how little air it moves on the first two speeds, and how loud it is on speed three. I have begun to think it might be jammed with detritus. I need to explore the dimmer switch for the interior lights- the icons on the fog/rear fog/ rear wiper/ etc console are basically unreadable at night - the dimmer may be dirty. I think I might have a slight exhaust leak near the front of the car - since replacing the catalytic converter, there is a slight smell of fumes when driving with the window open that i don't recall noticing before. The car doesn't sound extra loud, though...

Those are small troubles for a nearly 30 year old car that still blasts down backroads, engulfs highways, looks gorgeous, handles delicately, and returned over 20mpg despite some overly fast driving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeltaUTSign.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	13582

on the return trip, zigziagging south of Capital Reef Natl Park.

Name:	DeltaUtah.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	937.9 KB 
ID:	13581
    Big views. Mountains. Canyons. Striated rock. Must be Utah!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Delta Road Trip

Sounds like a great road trip
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea, that sounds fun. I bought my first one, red 16v out of Denver and drove it home to Las Vegas. It was a great road trip experience.

If you do something similar again maybe we'll have to meet somewhere.
    Sean McLane

Integrale EVO1
    UrQuattro
    Scorpion (s)
    Beta (s)
    Integrale 16v

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure what would happen if two Deltas were in the same place in Utah!

I was happily impressed with what a great touring car the Delta makes. I had previously taken it on a 250-300 mile (each way) trip into the mountains, but nothing as long as 700 miles in one day. The articles talk about how great it is at small road assault, which is true, but they leave out the impeccable road manners during high speed and long distance touring. It might not pull like the 928 I got to drive to Oregon and back, but I'm not sure it was any less of a pleasure. The next road trip is as yet unplanned, but with views like this, Zion was a great destination:

Name:	moonriseZion.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	941.1 KB 
ID:	13606

Thread Information