Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 818 630 gearbox rebuild

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 818 630 gearbox rebuild

is it the 3 slot nut? If so I can check with my spares...

Experienced Lancista tangmonster's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    is it the 3 slot nut? If so I can check with my spares...
    would be greatly appreciated

it is the 6 slot nut

I measure 51mm inside of indents.

lancia part number 2007008

on the manual it does not show origin which is normally some clue.

if someone has a S1 manual that can check if same part number is referenced?

I have done Autocad drawings of all 4 nuts on my gearbox , will upload once finalized.

My nut LOOKS exactly the same as the picture on EDDINSMOTO website of the 4 speed nut m he says s1 4 speed nut is left hand thread.

Below picture is from EDDINS moto website to be compared to my picture. His tool looks neater than mine

Downloads
    Uploads

The part number is correct and it is a left hand thread (checked on my spare nut using a thread gauge).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    The part number is correct and it is a left hand thread (checked on my spare nut using a thread gauge).
    Thank you very much , this will help a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

As per norm the right tool for the job really makes it a breeze. I used a 45cm power bar. No impact of any sort needed.

the way i locked the crown is to remove one of the studs in line with the crown bolts. Then I screwed in a 100mm m8 bolt , this lined up exactly with one of the heads of the bolts bolting the crown down.

That big shaft nut which is shared between S1 and S2 gearbox is in fact left hand thread as confirmed by lancialulu

I found a tool cut from 41mm impact socket at machine shop to work out the most cost effective.

I have made drawings of all the nuts , but here is mine for this shaft nut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress so far

lots of cleaning and dissasembly:

I'll replace all the nuts most probably , they are not special and new 8.8 grade nuts will do nicely. the bolts obviously has a hardening coating on them which makes them good. I had some bolts with corrosion , but since i had 2 gearboxes i could source some bolts from the other to make up a good set.
    same story for 2 or 3 of the studs and nuts which was rusted which i'll source from second case.

Washers are mostly good ,apart from a few that i swap out between other box.
    The copper washers i still need to source when i get nuts.

New o rings on the longer center bolts for sealing.

The top brass bush for select lever on my box had too much play , but in the box i sourced it is good. obviously source a new o ring for it.

seal on speedo drive was probably fine , but i'll source a new one anyway.

obviously the needle bearing and seals for the main shaft that goes in he bell housing will also be replaced , have sourced those parts already. Mine was basically destroyed with needles falling out when i removed shaft.

that smaller gear (used for reverse) and it's shaft had some scoring ,but the shaft and gear and 2 needle bearings on my second gearbox is good , so i am going to use them as shown in picture.

I have given the caes a first round of degreasing. I am this stage slightly torn beteen giving them a seconend scrubbing and taking them to a friends house and soda balsting and washing them. I tested the baking soda blasting on a spare case on a small area and it worked well. I understand glass bead blasting is the better option , but i havent found a good deal on a place that can do that for me.

The two tools shown in the first picture is for the left hand thread nut of the differential and the two nuts on the side shafts.

the next tool i'm getting made up next week is for the nut on the pinion shaft to be able to dissasemble my two gearbox pinions and gears. currently it looks like i should be able to get 5 good syncro rings between the 2 boxes , still to be measured.

The Wine i had in 1ste second and 3 and 4th are easily explained but loose gears with too much play as per DT manual.

I'll most probably use at the very least gears 1 to 3 from the second box and a mix of parts which i'll asses after disassembly and cleaning.
    the layshaft i'll most probably use from second gearbox since all of its gears looks better. I am not sure i'll even disassemble this shaft and only clean it thoroughly.

I can't fault any of the bearings.

in short , currently apart from too much play and worn selector teeth on gears and very worn syncros and obviously leaky seals and bushes all my current problems could be explained.

The gearlever shaft nylon bushes was also was way to worn ,but second gearbox is nice and tight , so at this stage looks like i am going to reuse it.
    Last edited by tangmonster; 1st June 2018 at 01:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

my drawing of the sideshaft nuts:

Downloads
    Uploads

For those who are interested in 5 speed innards

empty case

Selector fork and reverse idler.

I used the reverse idler from the 2nd gearbox and it's needle roller bearings since those where good compared to some wear on mine.
    In the selector fork new bushes and o ring in top bush

rights side shaft bearing fitted and bevel gear fitted (note that that nut is left hand thread)
    Mine had 2 shims and the standard large o ring. no other gaskets. As per lancia drawings.

"cap" with new seal , this cap has an oiler hole for bearing. important to make sure that bearing housing and the cap is fitted correct orientation.

Test fitted pinion and lay shaft.

I replaced bearings encircled in red. mostly because it was easy to get to since I disassembled shafts anyway.
    I did not really see a reason to replace them ,but there was more play in the old center bearing ( 6207 bearing I ordered c3 spec) on the pinion shaft than on the new one. This could simply be because of the tighter tolerance new bearing c3 spec I purchased.

I also chose the best gears from the 2 gearboxes I had and used them. And I got new syncro rings for number 2 ,3 and 4 gears.

at this stage i mated the other case and tested bevel gears backlash. I simply left in the 2 shims that was in there anyway, but i'm happy with measured backlash.

on the bellhousing there is also 2 new oil seals and a needle roller bearing that is replaced with new black paint on the top en bottom covers. Clutch fork greased up

Downloads
    Uploads

You need a bearing press when assembling pinion. For the center bearing on the pinion I needed to get it pressed.

You need to measure with feeler gauge the tolerances of the gears spacing as per DT manual. Most gaps should be around 0.178mm check the manual.

I matched and swapped hubs and the "washers" between my two gearboxes to get these in spec.

the worlds ugliest bearing puller:

Cleaning and comparing two pinion parts.
    The shocking truth was out of the 2 gearboxes I was only really happy with 2 of the old syncromesh rings. I used those on 1st and 5th gear.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get new sychro hubs. I bought some from Cavallitto.

Thread Information