Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 630 gearbox rebuild

Experienced Lancista tangmonster's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

818 630 gearbox rebuild

Hi all

Rather than hog the other thread anymore (racer has been helping me ) I would rather create a new one with questions regarding my gearbox rebuild.

I have currently ( in the process of removing ) a Very noisy gearbox leaking everywhere. ( diff is quiet however)

I got a cheap second gearbox with unknown history.

My plan is to rebuild it and check current "new" gearbox or at the very least use parts from both to make up one good one.

Before dismantling the new gearbox I would like to get feeling of basic pinion and crown backlash.

rather than bolting lever to output shaft as per repair manual I decided to simply wiggle crown back and fourth using my fingers on crown itself listening for the tick tick against pinion. ( is this an ok method? Or am I misunderstanding something?)
    dial indicator stand is bolted to one of the bell housing bolts so it is sturdy.

currently tricky to see the pinion engraving , but if i am measuring correctly the backlash is 0.9mm which seems way excessive?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 818 630 gearbox rebuild

I have split my bought gearbox further

Gears and syncros actually looks good, syncros on 1 ,2 and 3 is worn further down than 4 and 5, but is still far above the minimum 0.5mm.
    measurements in between gears as per DT manual also good.
    So apart from out of spec diff , everything else looks good. ( pinion stamp is 010 and the standard 91mm)

plan is to dissasemble further and get case and belhousing properly cleaned at engineering place.

Removed my gearbox over the weekend:

mmmm , someone changed my s3 gearbox to early 5 speed and early inner cv's

gearbox is 818 630 but much early 2xxx serial number

will know more about bearing and gear condition when disassembling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check crown wheel and pinion very carefully; if you had a mm play, either the gears are very badly worn or something else is wrong.

If you have the parts, I would advise to change(keep) the early S1 type inner CVs as they are much stronger and less prone to leaking. You can change the crown wheel on the diff to keep the gears paired.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Check crown wheel and pinion very carefully; if you had a mm play, either the gears are very badly worn or something else is wrong.

If you have the parts, I would advise to change(keep) the early S1 type inner CVs as they are much stronger and less prone to leaking. You can change the crown wheel on the diff to keep the gears paired.

Thanks bart

I'm planning to keep the old cv's , boots are all in good condition ,and i can't feel any play worth worrying about.

The worn crown and pinion is on the extra gearbox I bought. I agree with you , I don't trust it....

Lets hope the old crown and pinion is still good in the gearbox that came out of the car. Differential has no noise. I'll know in the next week or 2 of part time wrenching...

Downloads
    Uploads

Enjoy. Overhauling a gearbox is equivalent to a Mensa test... Take your time.

And you will need to make some spanners to undo ring nuts of various size. And beware of balls/springs jumping about once you have loosened these nuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

the gearbox coming out of the car has a good 0.25mm backlash measurement so this seems much more positive.

quick question.

The right hand nut of the driveshaft

is this thread normal or reversed? loosening the one on the donor gearbox first as practice with a handmade tool but could not get it loose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Normal threads I think but v tight. Some have to be drilled. You may get away with a smartly aim drift and lump hammer due to the fine threads. Stand by for a new nut!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lancialulu View Post
    Normal threads I think but v tight.

according to this site:

http://www.eddinsmoto.com/id84.htm

The 4 speed is left hand thread. That is why I am now wondering.

"What? Left hand thread?
    but it's on the right side of the car.... That's an aberration on normal protocol & a very nasty trick."

would love to know for certain before I start really working on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't use the hammer and chissel method! If your tool fits nicely, a long enough lever will do the trick. And you won't need a new nut!

Clean the end of the thread and try to determine which way the thread goes. I can't remember it being left hand thread but might be wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Don't use the hammer and chissel method! If your tool fits nicely, a long enough lever will do the trick. And you won't need a new nut!

Clean the end of the thread and try to determine which way the thread goes. I can't remember it being left hand thread but might be wrong.

NO , NO, hammering.

I have made a tool, it was a bit late in the evening when my tool was completed and i leaned into it fairly heavy when I gave up for another day.

Can't see any thread. don't want to chisel on the nut to try and see thread.

Thread Information