Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

The repro Cromodoras are all 14" for the simple reason that the 13"s won’t fit an S2 (they foul the brake calipers) are they’re nearly impossible to find decent 13" tires. Of all the Fulvias, only the S1 1,6HF had 13"s, so I run them on mine, but correct size tires don’t exist.

BTW, original magnesium Cromodoras have "MG" molded into the inside face of the wheels.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

The 13" Cromodora's are prone to crack but I have never seen this issue on the 14". I would try to find original magnesium rims. On Subito.it as Ed mentioned you can find several sets for sale.
    Shipping within Europe is a mere 70euro.

Cheers,

William

Downloads
    Uploads

Bying old Cromodora 13 inch wheels from Subito is possible, but you have no warranty that they are ok.
    I bougth two magnesium 6JX13 at Subito and found both have cracks when old Paint was removed.

I found that the two I bougth from Italy (With cracks) was what I believe the first generation from the Production date inside the Wheel.
    They was 0,5 kg ligther than the 4 Wheels my car came With. Both types are magnesium, but the later generation had presumbly more/thicker castings around the square opening areas. It is between the square openings my Wheels have cracked. The metal content was the same.

Tor

Downloads
    Uploads

The Cromodora magnesium 6Jx13 are the lightest wheels for the S1.

I've got a set, but I'm currently running the slightly-heavier Campagnolo HF wheel from the early Fanalones; I just like the look.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    Bying old Cromodora 13 inch wheels from Subito is possible, but you have no warranty that they are ok.
    I bougth two magnesium 6JX13 at Subito and found both have cracks when old Paint was removed.

I found that the two I bougth from Italy (With cracks) was what I believe the first generation from the Production date inside the Wheel.
    They was 0,5 kg ligther than the 4 Wheels my car came With. Both types are magnesium, but the later generation had presumbly more/thicker castings around the square opening areas. It is between the square openings my Wheels have cracked. The metal content was the same.

Tor
    Hi Tor,

The wheels are still on the car (and the car is still in the garage for fixing the engine) so I don't know the casting dates.
    What I saw on my wheels was that 4 out of 5 had the markings Cromodora on one side and Fergat on the opposite side (and 13"X6J and 0.8329 at 90 degrees), are these the earlier type that you got?
    Out of the 2 that is cracked both are Cromodora-Fergat marked.

I even took the spare (with worst cracks) to a known wheel-welding expert. Wile he said that the wheels was not repairable (they would shrink if welded) he also said that the reason for the cracks was manufacturing error and not abuse.
    Karl

1964 Flaminia Touring Convertible 3C 2.8
    1965 Fulvia Berlina (Appendix K project)
    1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Karl

None of my Wheels have Fergat cast into them, but MG is cast inside all 6. The four Wheels on my car is ok without cracks (the heaviest ones).
    The two lightest (and oldest) ones are still at the welder, hopefully they can be repeared and used for spare Wheel in the trunk.

Cheers

Tor

Thread Information