Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Thanks for your replies. I will order a new set of CDs from Viva-Lancia.

I am still waiting to get the car home. No desire to take it out on the roads now
    as we are getting more and more snow on the roads (on which we cleverly put salt...),
    hopefully it will clear within a few weeks.

Although I did actually get two rather serious sets of winter tires with the car

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BCB63FD-EF54-43D5-ACD2-0AE51F09DC25.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	13381
    Last edited by Kaha; 5th February 2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Karl

1964 Flaminia Touring Convertible 3C 2.8
    1965 Fulvia Berlina (Appendix K project)
    1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have another question; As i mentioned one of the more immediate problems (although not the most urgent) is that the windshield is cracked.
    There seems to be rather easy to get a new one, Pilkington seems to have, as well as the Finnish guys. The decisions is more to try to change it myself or have someone else do.

My concern is more why do why the windshield crack in the first place. Could it be a symptom of something else?
    I have noted that the Lancia Works team actually started running their cars with the chrome list of the non-HF cars, somewhere in the 1968 season, so the last of the 1,3 HF and all of the 1,6 HF factory works cars was actually using the chrome list around the windshield.
    Anybody know the reason for this. Is the chrome list making the windshield more stable or is there another explanation?
    (It seems like that change was around the same time as they started using roll-over bars.)
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Master Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do they crack? If they are bonded in place chassis flex due to corrosion could conceivably do it. Most often if it is not from an impact either directly causing the crack or creating a stress raiser then thermal shock from hot water on a winters day. A crack will start from a tiny chip or other damage.

As for fitting, I had a professional fitter do it. It's one of those jobs that looks and sounds easy until you have a go, and the downside of getting it wrong is usually quite deep!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaha View Post
    I have another question; As i mentioned one of the more immediate problems (although not the most urgent) is that the windshield is cracked.
    There seems to be rather easy to get a new one, Pilkington seems to have, as well as the Finnish guys. The decisions is more to try to change it myself or have someone else do.

My concern is more why do why the windshield crack in the first place. Could it be a symptom of something else?
    I have noted that the Lancia Works team actually started running their cars with the chrome list of the non-HF cars, somewhere in the 1968 season, so the last of the 1,3 HF and all of the 1,6 HF factory works cars was actually using the chrome list around the windshield.
    Anybody know the reason for this. Is the chrome list making the windshield more stable or is there another explanation?
    (It seems like that change was around the same time as they started using roll-over bars.)

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got to drive the car the last weekend (we have had lots of snow up till just two weeks ago).
    A fresh battery and new spark plugs finally made it sing.
    The car did run very well on a short test run, unfortunately the engine is not totally healthy.
    After a short run it started to spit out water, and later steam through the pipe from the top of the radiator.

I assumed that it was the head gasket that had gone bad. So I started to call around to see who could help me switch the engine.
    (As mentioned in earlier post the car had been running up till recently with a good healthy home tuned 1400-smething cc engine, but that was changed to the untried original engine before the selling of the car)
    Sadly both guys were busy till the end of the summer.

One of the recommended that I'd try to see if there might be a problem only in the cooling system. The car was running great, no oil in the water or water in the oil, that could be other indicators of blown head gasket.
    I think I will try to change the thermostat and also the temp gauge sender (naturally neither the water nor oil temp gauges worked either). Also it had an S2 radiator cap on it, are they different in size?
    Could it be that simple?

Will try to upload some pictures of the car.
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

One test a simple workshop normally can do is "pressure test" the cooling system. By putting on a "specialized" radiator cap, with a connection for air under pressure (not 6 bar or something from a compressor!!! but something like 1 bar) and a pressure indicator the system can be put under pressure. It allows to visually check for leaks, but also to check for invisible leaks, like the cylinder head. Once the system under pressure, watch it for - let's say - 5 minutes, and there shouldn't be much pressure drop in that short time. If there is, it could be the cylinder head gasket. There have been instances of the aluminium head failing too (cracks, often invisible). A blown head gasket doesn't necessarily lead to oil getting mixed in the water, actually, it usually does not. White smoke (steam actually) keeping on coming from the exhaust with the engine (and exhaust) completely warmed up is often a good indicator of a blown head gasket (unless you are consistently in a quite cold climate).
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pictures of the car:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1426-800x600.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	13636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1427-800x600.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	13637
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks very nice to me

I only now noticed that you got quite a collection of Lancias (including a Flaminia!) up to the latest
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

We did a pressure test of the radiator and unfortunately the head gasket seems to be blown

So it is back to plan B for me, switch (back) to the known good engine that came with the car. The engine is bored out to around 1450cc and reputedly 130bhp (according to the builder, so it might an over estimation...)

The original* engine will then get a slow restoration before going back to the car.

This is really what I would have wanted in the first place, unfortunately the seller though the car should be easier to sell with the bad original engine in the car rather than the working non original engine... Unfortunately non of the usual good garages have time until after the summer. So I will have to see if some of the Alfa garages will have time. Unfortunately it means that the car will probably miss this years NLM.

*I believe that the not so good engine is the original. My car has chassis number 184 and the engine is 197, which I think is as close as matching number you will get with a Fulvia.
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaha View Post

*I believe that the not so good engine is the original. My car has chassis number 184 and the engine is 197, which I think is as close as matching number you will get with a Fulvia.
    I don't think there's any doubt that it's the original engine.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

The car is now at the garage for fixing the engine and both me and wallet anxiously awaits the verdict on the status of the engine...

Meanwhile I have been busy sorting out what else to fix and in what order some things to get the car roadworthy and some more cosmetic.
    Also I have tried to sort out the quite extensive spare packages I got with the cars. The previous owner had scraped quite a lot of cars (some by his own hands ) and as he was a rally driver he took care of everything. For instance I got two Coupé roofs. (Hopefully they will never be useful!)

I noted that two of the Cromodora wheels were cracked, the spare quite a lot and a smaller crack in another wheel.
    There are a lot of new wheels out there, as I understand it they are all aluminium, so a bit heavier than the partially original aluminium/magnesium wheels.
    Also I have only seen 13 inch Cromodoras at Cavalitto, all other seller have newly reproduce 14 inch Cromodoras even for S1 which seems odd.
    I still would want to get some normal original wheels. There are quite a lot of original Cromodoras on Subito, but so far I have not been able to convince any seller to ship outside of Italy... As an possible last measure I might try to get some Italian contact to act as middle man...
    (Also of course when you look into this kind of stuff there are two variants of the S1 Cromodora. One with the text Cromodora on one side and 13"x6J on the opposite side, the other has Cromodora on one side and Fergat on the opposite side...)
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Thread Information