Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Don't overdo the size of the small leak hole: About 1mm diam. is what is needed.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Karl,

actually the radiator was leaking from a crack in the lower waterbox. This crack was right beside a welding spot with which the support made of sheet metal was fixed to the waterbox. All of that was covered with tin solder, so the leak was quite small and the coolant dripped into the support panel first, leading to its deterioration. It became a hole only when I removed the rusty parts and the "spot" was broken out of the brass. Anyhow it was only ment to show one of the places where to look when investigating coolant loss.

My company is a manufacturer of temperature control valves. Due to this we have spent a lot of time with cooling circuits and I personally did a lot of research on Flaminia cooling circuits leading to some very helpful developments. For instance these:

The one on the left should be known to you, the other one is for Aurelia. You are on the servo seal-list, I will send an email to you about the thermostat.

One word about the bleeding hole. As Brian correctly said, its main purpose is to allow a small coolant flow, setting the thermostatic element into action, the air vent is secondary, the air will start moving as soon as the valve opens anyway. Therefore the position of the bleeding hole is not so critical.

Furthermore I do not believe that a radiator cap with higher relief pressure value will solve the water loss. As far as I can see there are two reasons why the cap will open (act as a pressure relief valve, what it actually is). 1. You have steam pressure in the top water box, because of high temp in the system, that is what I would say is the intended function. 2. You have water pressure from the coolant having passed the engine and being pumped up into the top water box of the radiator while the radiator itself has too much flow resistance (clogged). Both effects may add to each other, but turning up the relief pressure by means of a different cap most likely will not solve the problem.

Hubert
    Last edited by Akonaut; 30th October 2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Flaminia GT 3C, Flaminia Convertibile 3C, Flaminia Coupé-project-, Flavia Convertibile 1.8, Fulvia Sport 1.3S, A112 Abarth 70HP, Mercedes Benz Unimog U406

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the good advice!

I did some work on the car yesterday, so i removed the thermostat to drill it for a bleeding hole. Upon closer inspection it turned out it already hade a bleeding hole...
    So I reinstalled the thermostat, filled up water and took her for a spin round the blocks. The temperature rose steadily and got up to 90, when I decided to turn home, then it dropped to around mid 70s so I continued for a while and it seemed steady there. When Home I checked the water level and the water was a bit brownish, so I replaced the water and flushed the radsiator and the rest of the system as good as I could.
    I will try to make a couple of more short runs and flush the system to see if I get the brown stuff out (The car had a blown head gasket when I bought it (even though I was not informed of that...), so hopefully it is only old engine oil, worst case someone tried to fix the head gasket with radiator sealant)
    Once the system is clean I will fit the highly anticipated super thermostat, that will give better cooling and give it a smother start.
    Karl

1964 Flaminia Touring Convertible 3C 2.8
    1965 Fulvia Berlina (Appendix K project)
    1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

sounds promising. 90c is not horrible, 80 would be better, 70 might be a bit cool. keep in mind the gauge itself is probably off a little too. as you plan, flushing the system will be a good thing, and i'd keep flushing till it comes clean. (as long as the temps are kind to pure water anyway)
    my 1,3 tends to run up to 85 or so before it settles down to 75-ish and stabilizes so i don't think you're too far off.
    bmarler/
    1967 fulvia sport zagato
    1961 appia vignale convert.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can't say for a 1,6, but most 1,3 run at between 70 and 75 under normal driving conditions. Be aware that the temperature gauge reading on the Fulvia is not very accurate and not to be relied on for absolute values, better use one of the infra red temperature probes.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

One advantage of doing work under the dashboard is that you can take the dash home and fix it as well. Loads of cracks and lost colour in the old thing.

Some very gentle sanding down, filling in the cracks and adding some colour and then finally a new coat of lacquer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1484.JPG  
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Car is slowly getting better and better.

Had a look att the fuel meter that's not working. Brought multimeter to measure the resistance of the coil in the sender unit. It was an easier problem to solve thoug, as the sender came out it turned out to be total stuck in a position.
    A new sender fixed the problem. (Hopefully the new gasket also solves the slight smell of petrol in the boot).

A bit more complex to solve is the tachometer. The tell tail needle was not working when I bought the car.
    I took the tachometer apart and the axle and bushing was separated and the axle was also bent (Probably by someone trying to fix it from the outside...)

The problem is that the tell tail construction in the 1,6:s are that is half a good design and half a bad design.
    The needle is sitting on an axle between two washers, one straight and one (the one towards the driver) is slightly bent to pressure the needle towards the other washer. giving it enough friction to stay in place but not to high so it can be moved by the normal tachometer needle if you over rev. So far the design is excellent. The problem is that the axle is press fitted into i bushing which is hold into place by some wing extensions.
    Now I think that is a crude design that makes it hard for you to set the right pressure on washers.
    The axle is 1 mm thick so it would be quite easy to replace with an M1 screw instead. I bought some M1 bolts and nuts (in brass which fits with the rest of the assembly).

The nut had to be cut down to resemble the winged look of the original bushing.

For securing the nut and the screw there were two options: Either simply put some very mild loctite on them to bond them together or use a locking nut above the winged nut, this would need to be accessible from the top so I was thinking an acorn nut filed round and with a cut in the top to fit a screwdriver.

When I got the screws and nuts, the nuts turned out to too small to be cut down.

I was in a bit of a hurry, since I wanted to fit the restored dashboard, so I thought I'd fix the original setup instead, even if it would a less ideal solution it would still be as left the factory.
    I straightened the axle and press fitted it to the bushing with a crude press jigg.
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work perfectly, I set the red line at 7900 rpm, and at the end of the test run it showed 8100 rpm, so either the friction is two low or I bent the dial so it touches the back of the tachometer needle.
    Anyway I thing its is back to the drawing board, the next thing to do is to cut out a similar wing shape from a brass sheet and than tapper it to M1 and use that to assembly (I also think I would have to use the loctite fastening, the longest M1 screws I could find was 10mm and I would need a few mm:s more to have a looking nut)

Here is picture of the parts after first disassembly:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tacho.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	14287
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaha View Post
    I set the red line at 7900 rpm, and at the end of the test run it showed 8100 rpm
    ... and quite a test run it was!

Downloads
    Uploads

That tacho is worth a fortune, so take very good care of it. Almost not available, and if it is, goes typically for a thousand Euro or something.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

for the "warped" (pressure washer: use a "wave" washer? Not sure there are any with the right size and pressure.
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Thread Information