Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

I have recently bought a Lancia Fulvia 1,6HF which I intend to have running by springtime (as always, better not specify what year...)

The cars has a few problems that does not make it totally roadworthy yet.
    There are three things that needs to be sorted, and quite a few minor to get the car in more original condition.

The three I need to fix are:
    The engine have a slight oil leak, from the head or the valve cover.
    There is a broken brake disc
    The wind shield has a crack.

The engine might or might not be a big problem. Unfortunately the car was until recently fitted with a home made 1400-something engine (I believe around 1450cc), a bored out 1300 cc with some own tuning tricks applied. Before the sale of the car they switched to the original, not perfectly healthy engine. I would have very much preferred to keep the original engine outside the car and restored it in a slow pace wile still be able to run the car. Now my choice is either to switch back the old engine or hope that it will be easy to fix the original engine wile still in the car.

For the disc, I have a question for you Fulvia experts out there. In the technical specs it is stated that all S1 cars have a around 12 mm thick disc, except for 818.540 which shall have a around 8 mm thick disc (To save weight I assume).
    I have so far only seen one spare parts seller who advertise regular discs as well as 818.540 discs.
    Will the standard thickness disc fit on the 1,6?
    Karl

1964 Flaminia Touring Convertible 3C 2.8
    1965 Fulvia Berlina (Appendix K project)
    1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Putting a 1,6 HF back on the road

Standard brake disc thickness is +/-12.75mm. On the 818.540 it's +/-9mm. There's absolutely no problem running standard discs on a 540, and no problem running thinner discs on the others. In any case, you can easily turn down a standard 12.75mm disc to 9mm.

Oil leaks aren't that hard to trace, so the source is likely obvious. For what it's worth (and that may not be much), in my experience the valve cover is more likely than the head, and the two 'eyeglass' gaskets are more often an issue than the perimeter gasket.
    Last edited by 1,6 HF; 25th January 2018 at 03:20 AM.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Ed basically covered it.

The brake system for the Fulvia was from anglo-saxon origin, hence the non-metric original standard thickness of a 1/2". They turned it down, to save weight indeed on the HF, to 9mm. You can run either, but I probably would not mix (one side 9mm and the other 1/2").

It is certainly worth getting the 1600 engine back to shape, it is a valuable engine. The "eyeglass" seals for the spark plug holes are a "pain-in-the***" but it is easy to see if that is the problem: if they don't seal off, the oil leak is around or in the spark plug holes. The eyeglass seals are for sale about everywhere, but there is crap on the market among them: some dissolve in the warme engine oil!
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ed and Marnix, thanks for your replies! This kind of a help that is really valuable.

When trying to find the answers myself, I found a problem, I do not have a spare-parts manual for the 1,6.
    I have one for S1 up to 1968 and an S2, so I miss the 1,3S and the 1,6HF.
    Does anyone have a newer version of the S1 manual available electronically?

Starting with the valve covers makes a lot of sense, It is easy to access and gaskets seems to be easily available.
    Is there a way to spot good/bad eyeglass gaskets or do you know a supplier of the good ones?
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaha View Post
    When trying to find the answers myself, I found a problem, I do not have a spare-parts manual for the 1,6.

Is there a way to spot good/bad eyeglass gaskets or do you know a supplier of the good ones?
    Somebody did a lot of effort to scan in all the parts catalogues, technical data, workshop manuals, etc. He sells (or did before, didn't check on it lately) that spread over 4 CDs on Ebay (look which of the 4 you need, there are some for S1 and others for S2/3). I got them, but I am hesitating to put those online, part of it because it is huge in size, part because I think the guy (girl) deserves it to make the very small amount of money he asks for the quite probably huge effort it has taken to scan in those thousands of pages... I theorie, it may be illegal what he does, I suppose it is still copywrited.

As for the eyeglass seals: for once, take to the tradional companies that are renowed for the quality of their parts: while it still is not sure they will be allright, it is a lot risky than buying these on Ebay, from an unknown source.

Btw, Huib told me the story of replacement DUNLOP brake piston rubber seals that dissolved in the brake oil, same story. Quality of seals is an issue for about all kind of seals. I almost always buy rubber style parts from sources that I know rather well, and even then I got fooled (the shop may have been fooled as well, they buy them somewhere themselves).

The rubber hangers for the exhaust are another example: the originals from Lancia last for 40-50 years... The replacement parts often break up after 6month. If you compare, you will find that the way they are built up is actually different. Same for the rubber covered fabric steering disks for the S1: the originals were with spring steel inserts inside: the replacement versions on Ebay are apparantly not, and tend to break up after a few thousand km...
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    ... it is a lot risky than buying these on Ebay, from an unknown source....
    I obviously meant : ".. a lot LESS risky..."
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaha View Post
    Ed and Marnix, thanks for your replies! This kind of a help that is really valuable.

Starting with the valve covers makes a lot of sense, It is easy to access and gaskets seems to be easily available.
    Parts catalogue CDs available here:
    http://www.viva-lancia.com/specials/cd/fulvia-cd.php

There must be plenty of good European sources, but Adan at LaLanciacom always has fresh gaskets that from Italian suppliers
    http://www.lalancia.com/products-pag...ia-coupe/277-2
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
    Parts catalogue CDs available here:
    http://www.viva-lancia.com/specials/cd/fulvia-cd.php

There must be plenty of good European sources, but Adan at LaLanciacom always has fresh gaskets that from Italian suppliers
    http://www.lalancia.com/products-pag...ia-coupe/277-2
    Does anyone have the parts catalogue from that CD, and can verify that they are complete with all S1 versions?

The copy that I have (which does not include the 303 and 540), I got from Huib, although it was probably 15 years ago...
    (I guess its time to make a new contribution to Viva-Lancia anyway...)
    Karl

1969 Fulvia 1,6 HF
    1999 Ypsilon
    2003 Thesis 3,2
    2011 Delta 1,8 Di T-Jet

Downloads
    Uploads

The one that I got contains Lancia updates up to 1976, and is almost certainly the lastest update for S1 that Lancia released. It definetely contains the 1.3S and 1,6HF first series.

I seem to recall I got it from Ebay, not sure it is one from Huib or not.

OK, found it back, got it here (from Lucas)

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Lancia-Fulvi...0AAOxy0QBSPd-e

There are a total of 4 CDs for the Fulvia, you got to pick the one(s) you need (there are different ones for S1 and S2/3)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

My Hard copy Tavoli is the same as the CD Marnix has, being updated to 1976, and i doubt it was updated further.
    Brian

Thread Information