Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Rally Racer Back From Complete Restoration

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Lancia Fulvia 1.3 Rally Racer Back From Complete Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Marnix View Post
    Tim, thanks for the pictures. Do I see correctly, is in the roundel the "0" of the 40 cast in the body? Or is it stamped (as in the C.42)?

The body looks very familiar to a C.42 DDHF. I wonder if the C.40 was a preceding version, that Solex later used as a template to make the C.42 (and C.45).

Strange that the location where the air by-pass setting screws normally are accessible are blanked off...
    Zero is cast. Not sure your point about air bypass screws. Other than the mix screws all others should be sealed at factory ie blanked off. See another pic I have on file for a set of my 42's - ignore the red ring that was to source another cover. The difference is top of float cover and fuel entry. This would not work on 1600 as the engine is taller and the unions would hit the bonnet hence a 35 solution for the 42's. I always understood that this DDHF casting was used for 42,45, and very thin 48's. I think I have a source of spindles and butterflies....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20170413_13_56_11_Pro_LI (1).jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Tim

OK, so it is not a C.42/45 body after all. Good to know.

With the blanking I was meaning "hard" blanking, with a brass cover pressed in apperently on this one. All C.32/C.35/C.42 that have air by-pass screws have been sealed by some paint, putty, whatever it was they used at Solex, but not metal. It can be removed to readjust. In this case it seems to be covered with a brass lid that permanently seals it off (like the brass covers of the progression hole cavern)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can give me a source for spindles, that would be nice Spindles is my constant worry for about every type of carbs, be it C.32, C.35, C.42 and even the Dellortos. Sometimes I find them here and thre, but usually not a permanent sorurce.

I have to verify, but it may be that the spindle of the C.42 can be turned into one for the 45. All depends on the spacing of the butterfly fixing holes.

A 48??? then the wall and the bushes would become extremely thin. I think those would have been wearing out extremely fast (at least, the bushes)
    Lancia Fulvia 2C 1964
    Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1,3 1968
    Porsche 924 1979
    Alfa Romeo 33 1.4IE 1993

Downloads
    Uploads

For me, the question is, what differentiates a 48? The 42 and the 45 are the same barrel diameter at the diffusor and choke; the only difference is that the 45 is bored wider at the butterflies. In standard spec, the 42 runs a 36mm choke, while the 45 runs 38mm, and of course with different jetting. Other than that, the only difference is a ‘5’ instead of a ‘2’ stamped over the cast ‘0’. It’s not hard to imagine that the 48 follows the same pattern. Does anyone know?
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Did the works score important victories with the Solex DDHF48? Seeing pictures of 1600HF works engines from 70 and beyond I mostly see the big branch inlet manifolds with big Webers or DellOrtho's. Quite often in steel. So why would someone bother recreating 48's?

Cheers,
    William

Downloads
    Uploads

As best I can determine from looking through the competition notebooks, the Reparto Corse ran Solex DDHF through the end of the 1971 season. Prior to 1972 they occasionally ran Weber DCOE or Dell’orto DHLA; after that it was only DCOEs or DHLAs, whether 45 or 48.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information