Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupe american bumpers

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coupe american bumpers

I am in the process of swapping the stock springs for lowered BetaBoyz' and while waiting for the WD40 to work its magic on the bottom bolts in the rear I could take a good look at the rear bumper. Then I reached for couple of wrenches and off it went... I was pondering what do do with them for some time and came to rough idea that bringing them closer to the body would improve the looks significantly and should be reasonably easy to reverse. Now with it down I was left however with the side flappers unattached and possibly too long. So the next step was off with the rubber and here it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	13236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1836.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	13237
    I think they don't look as good as euro but even now with all the holes and corrosion much better than originally.
    What is the tribal opinion and has anybody attempted to just strip them?
    Now I think I have two options - weld those holes over, sand it and polish it or more reversible and cheaper just bondo it over and paint the parts black where the rubber was. I could even try to fabricate some sort of endings where the flappers were so they would have more finished look.
    Thanks for reading my ramblings but its cold outside and not much else to do now.
    Happy New Year to everybody!

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Coupe american bumpers

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	13279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8909.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	799.3 KB 
ID:	13280

I spent alot of money buying Euro bumpers and then decided I like the look better with out any bumpers - and you lose about 150 pounds - JP
    1978 Lancia Beta Coupe
    2001 BMW 325ci

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by igorpudak View Post
    I am in the process of swapping the stock springs for lowered BetaBoyz' and while waiting for the WD40 to work its magic on the bottom bolts in the rear I could take a good look at the rear bumper. Then I reached for couple of wrenches and off it went... I was pondering what do do with them for some time and came to rough idea that bringing them closer to the body would improve the looks significantly and should be reasonably easy to reverse. Now with it down I was left however with the side flappers unattached and possibly too long. So the next step was off with the rubber and here it is:

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	13236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1836.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	13237
    I think they don't look as good as euro but even now with all the holes and corrosion much better than originally.
    What is the tribal opinion and has anybody attempted to just strip them?
    Now I think I have two options - weld those holes over, sand it and polish it or more reversible and cheaper just bondo it over and paint the parts black where the rubber was. I could even try to fabricate some sort of endings where the flappers were so they would have more finished look.
    Thanks for reading my ramblings but its cold outside and not much else to do now.
    Happy New Year to everybody!
    Without the rubber to break-up the vast span of aluminum, I think you will need to do something to break it up. The black paint is probably the better option even if you weld it up.
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    I spent alot of money buying Euro bumpers and then decided I like the look better with out any bumpers - and you lose about 150 pounds - JP
    The euro bumpers were way out of my budget, especially that I may have come to the same conclusion as you did. My front valance is too banged up to leave it exposed though. And there would be the pairs of side holes I would need to weld off, like you had done.
    BTW the rubber itself is probably half the saved weight - these are massive 1" thick slabs.

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaPaul View Post
    Without the rubber to break-up the vast span of aluminum, I think you will need to do something to break it up. The black paint is probably the better option even if you weld it up.
    The more I looked at them the more I would agree. It would preserve somewhat the original design in its intent at least. Sanding off the corrosion pitting would be major effort too as I tried on the fringe and it is hard going.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LanciaPaul View Post
    Hm, what about just adding a black rubber rub strip across the middle, at least wide enough to cover the slot holes? Does anywhere even sell aftermarket rub strips anymore?
    Best regards,
    -Tye (1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider)

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."
    -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Hm, what about just adding a black rubber rub strip across the middle, at least wide enough to cover the slot holes? Does anywhere even sell aftermarket rub strips anymore?
    Autobody supply shops sell different widths, lengths, thicknesses and profiles of body side molding. Usually with an adhesive backing. Sometimes you can find this product used as boat rub rails. Just Google automotive side molding.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I were in your shoes, I'd be sorely tempted to cut out the center steel along the length of the bumper and make them half as high so that instead of four bolts holding the bumper at each corner there would only be two. It would get rid of the holes and you could hide the weld line via paint or a thin rubber strip. The front would need some thought around the turn signals but the result would seem to look a lot like euro style bumpers in proportion. Simple to say of course...
    Last edited by motoTrooper; 6th January 2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: further clarification

Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motoTrooper View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I'd be sorely tempted to cut out the center steel along the length of the bumper and make them half as high so that instead of four bolts holding the bumper at each corner there would only be two. It would get rid of the holes and you could hide the weld line via paint or a thin rubber strip. The front would need some thought around the turn signals but the result would seem to look a lot like euro style bumpers in proportion. Simple to say of course...
    Tempting it would be but on the other side it looks awfully complicated: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1838.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	13308
    There is no way I could make it clean straight this long cut, weld and then deal with those brackets in the inside. They would be so sexed up if they were one inch thinner though.
    BTW does anyone know what kind of fastener it is: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	13309 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1840.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	13310 - thread on one side rivet head on the other?
    So far I managed to fabricate shorter hangers to replace the hydraulic piston thingies: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	13311 In the future someone may go back to stock for the Pebble Beach show or some other depraved reason
    Last edited by igorpudak; 18th February 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by igorpudak View Post
    BTW does anyone know what kind of fastener it is: - thread on one side rivet head on the other?
    Carriage bolts have a dome head on one end and threads on the other plus a square profile under the head.
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

Thread Information