Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Coupe american bumpers

  1. #11
    Experienced Lancista
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    92
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    C'mon dude, you've obviously got some fab skills there! If you want to lose that inch, take an inch wide roll of paper tape and lay it down (close-ish) to the center and angle grinder with a cut wheel either side of the tape and the pieces will mate up perfect for welding. Yeah it takes a bit of time but it's winter fab season. Then take those bumper tubes, cut off the ears you just made and drill a new hole in face where you want to mount it (probably inside the area of the tube) drill a couple of small holes on either side of that hole and weld in a flanged nut mounted on the inside to hold it captive. I know it's a bunch of time and effort for a set of bumpers, but it looks so easy from the comfort of my couch and laptop!

  2. #12
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Chicago IL USA
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by LanciaPaul View Post
    Carriage bolts have a dome head on one end and threads on the other plus a square profile under the head.
    Yes, that is plausible but then why there are no proper nuts on the other side, just some pipe like funnels? The head sphere seem to be more substantial than regular carriage bolt head. I am itching to tack weld the brackets on the inside and grind off the heads. Never welded aluminum though and my steel welds are super ugly, so that may be an adventure.

  3. #13
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    N W US
    Posts
    155
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    It is a Huck LockBolt.


    Craig

  4. #14
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Chicago IL USA
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by cthargiss View Post
    It is a Huck LockBolt.


    Craig
    HA! Thank you!
    Now I can see once the heads are ground off they will fall out. Food for thought...

  5. #15
    Master Lancista LanciaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berkley, Michigan
    Posts
    225
    Downloads
    90
    Uploads
    1

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by cthargiss View Post
    It is a Huck LockBolt.


    Craig
    Was never aware of those, Craig. Glad to learn something new! Thanks!
    https://www.afsrhuck.net/us/en/produ...huckbolts.html
    1974 Fiat X1/9
    1981 Lancia Zagato

  6. #16
    Master Lancista
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    N W US
    Posts
    155
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by igorpudak View Post
    HA! Thank you!
    Now I can see once the heads are ground off they will fall out. Food for thought...
    Use a cold chisel to split the collar.


    Craig

  7. #17
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Chicago IL USA
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    As long I am poking around and considering options, here is something I am looking at this morning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	13323
    I got three of these lamps cheap and now I may use them finally.

  8. #18
    Experienced Lancista vancouver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    60
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by igorpudak View Post
    As long I am poking around and considering options, here is something I am looking at this morning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	13323
    I got three of these lamps cheap and now I may use them finally.
    I like it - I think a 2 inch black rubber band down the middle like the Euro bumpers is worth a try
    1978 Lancia Beta Coupe
    2001 BMW 325ci

  9. #19
    Legendary Lancista 1,6 HF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    5,237
    Downloads
    40
    Uploads
    52

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    I agree w/ vancouver
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

  10. #20
    Active Lancista
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Chicago IL USA
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Re: Coupe american bumpers

    Quote Originally Posted by motoTrooper View Post
    C'mon dude, you've obviously got some fab skills there! If you want to lose that inch, take an inch wide roll of paper tape and lay it down (close-ish) to the center and angle grinder with a cut wheel either side of the tape and the pieces will mate up perfect for welding. Yeah it takes a bit of time but it's winter fab season. Then take those bumper tubes, cut off the ears you just made and drill a new hole in face where you want to mount it (probably inside the area of the tube) drill a couple of small holes on either side of that hole and weld in a flanged nut mounted on the inside to hold it captive. I know it's a bunch of time and effort for a set of bumpers, but it looks so easy from the comfort of my couch and laptop!
    Thank you for the misplaced confidence in my talents . Actually I did some reading abut welding aluminum and it is an extremely tricky and difficult. Main problem is aluminum heat expansion and unpredictable wrapping on long welds. I am too slow and sloppy welder to do it. With wrapped steel there is always an option to recover and repair with torch or shrinking discs - aluminum this thick, probably not. And I am still working on converting my MIG to weld aluminum.

    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    I like it - I think a 2 inch black rubber band down the middle like the Euro bumpers is worth a try
    I keep forgetting to take the black duct tape I found home to the shop to see what width would look best. I am afraid though, that the deep corrosion pitting on the rear bumper will force me to go very wide. I will try to sand them off first but I'm not optimistic. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by igorpudak; 14th January 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •