Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Active Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Importing vintage cars into California, USA

Some background on the former rolling emissions exemption. That went into effect in the mid-late 90s. It was called SB42 and passed in '97. Before that, the exemption was a fixed year, though I don't recall what it was.

The original proposal was for a rolling 25-year exemption. There was obviously massive support for this from the collector/vintage car community. But CARB opposed it. Collector car enthusiasts got mobilized and there was a coordinated campaign to get it passed. In response to pressure caused by the campaign, CARB said that they would relent if it was changed to 30 years and that is the law that was passed.

But, CARB, being CARB, came back a few years later (around 2004, I think) and insisted that the rolling exemption be done away with and it was.

I left California years ago, so I don't know the current situation. But a lot of people put a lot of effort into getting SB42 passed, so I just wanted to remind people of that effort. Who knows? Maybe California collector car enthusiasts will try something like that again.

alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Schwartzenegger signed the repeal of the rolling 30...

I suspect there are collectors here with both classics they want to be able to drive and enough money to try to make sure that remains possible.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

New Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a related question, regarding CA sales taxes applied to vehicles purchased elsewhere in the US. Do CA sales taxes get collected by the selling agent (unless a private party)? Are certain vehicles exempted from CA sales taxes when they're imported from another state?
    <sorry if I'm asking something that's been addressed before>

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

You should be able to find the answer on the CA DMV web site.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Thread Information