Thread: intake manifold head studs - remove to make pulling manifold easier?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

intake manifold head studs - remove to make pulling manifold easier?

I spent way too much time trying to get the intake manifold off and was not successful. The top two central holes in the intake manifold attach it via nuts onto studs that are set into the head. If I recall correctly the other four are simply bolts into recessed threaded holes in the head. Because of this the intake does not clear the outside lower corner where it hits the oil filter bracket thingy and thus it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the intake manifold in situ. I never realized this because I assembled the engine out of the car.

I need to be able to get the intake manifold off an on in situ. So I'm considering removing the threaded studs in the head and using shorter bolts for those center two holes. Removal is going to require cutting the threaded portion off and then using a bolt extractor. My question is, how difficult is it going to be to get those studs out? Are they typically stuck in there pretty well or should this be straightforward? If I cut that stud off and then can't get it out it's going to be a really bad day for me.

Do most of these engines have studs for the intake manifold fasteners or is this one unique for some reason?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: intake manifold head studs - remove to make pulling manifold easier?

What about double nutting the studs to remove them?
    Life is too short to drive a boring car.

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    What about double nutting the studs to remove them?
    Yep, I should have tried that. I don't remember if there is enough thread available to get two nuts on it but maybe there is or maybe I can find a narrower nut. Thanks for the tip!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar88 View Post
    I spent way too much time trying to get the intake manifold off and was not successful. The top two central holes in the intake manifold attach it via nuts onto studs that are set into the head. If I recall correctly the other four are simply bolts into recessed threaded holes in the head. Because of this the intake does not clear the outside lower corner where it hits the oil filter bracket thingy and thus it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the intake manifold in situ. I never realized this because I assembled the engine out of the car.

I need to be able to get the intake manifold off an on in situ. So I'm considering removing the threaded studs in the head and using shorter bolts for those center two holes. Removal is going to require cutting the threaded portion off and then using a bolt extractor. My question is, how difficult is it going to be to get those studs out? Are they typically stuck in there pretty well or should this be straightforward? If I cut that stud off and then can't get it out it's going to be a really bad day for me.

Do most of these engines have studs for the intake manifold fasteners or is this one unique for some reason?
    The only problem you should have removing the manifold in situ is in accessing the nuts. Difficult with a 3/8 inch drive socket but a quarter-inch drive deep socket and extension will allow you to remove them.

I’ve done it many times with standard, Alquati, and Pierce manifolds.
    DJ Richards
    eBay ID: classic-ricambi
    1978 Beta Coupe, Nero

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, as several of you probably guessed, the only issue I was having was my thick head not functioning properly. I had loosened the crank case vent swirl pot thing a little bit and then attempted to take off the manifold, so what was preventing me from getting the manifold off was that the bolt on the swirl pot was interfering. It's buried underneath in the middle where those difficult to access bolts are and that was making this whole process more difficult.

Thread Information