Thread: How do I get my 1216 to sound this good?

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I get my 1216 to sound this good?

I'd always assumed that a 1216 would never sound anywhere near as rorty sorbet as an HF, but I've a friend who told me he was quite impressed by the video of one on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrhE...dFBcq02ADkDbsO

If my 'friend' wanted to try and make his very standard 1216cc sound as good as this, what would you suggest (without changing too much or making it irreversable?) as he's still keen on keeping it standard.

Take the mid section silencer out?
    Take the air filter off a K&N?
    What else?

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: How do I get my 1216 to sound this good?

Variante 1007 tuning. Standard 1216 (818.130) is 80bhp, and HF-spec (818.140) is only 88; both were 9.0:1 compression. 818.140 V1007 was 10.5:1 and made 108bhp. Add a full-comp exhaust system, and it'll sound like that video.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

My 1216 fulvia has a few "period" mods to make it faster and sound more "rorty." Every thing Ive done is reversible and either to HF spec or possible Lancia "period" improvements. The head is a 818 140 and Ive smoothed out the insides of the head and manifolds. The exhaust and inlet manifolds are the ones for that head. Ive got 35mm carbs fitted. Ive got another standard engine for the car which I can always put back in. But for you probably the easiest way to get a more rorty sound is change the exhaust side of the 1200. I would,
    1. replace the standard cast exhaust manifold with the later tube manifold.
    2. change the exhaust to the later two into one exhaust.
    The exhaust on my car Ive built myself and left out the center silencer. The sound is loud enough but not too much its annoying.
    If you leave off the air filter box for trumpets you can have a bit of induction noise too. (At your own risk of junk going into the inlets)
    The standard fulvia 1216 is not a race car but the way its put together is set by Lancia to be a beautifully balanced car. You may need to think about "the putting things out of balance" and set that against "a nice original car". For example, if you put an enlarged exhaust on the car the carbs and the jets need to be thought about as they may make it less pleasant to actually drive
    Ive got a bit of video of my car and the sound its got now I think is quite nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfvdmB80Ri4&t=33s

cheers luke
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=lukestew;71257]
    If you leave off the air filter box for trumpets you can have a bit of induction noise too. (At your own risk of junk going into the inlets)/QUOTE]

Aside from the issue of grit getting in the engine, you'll make more power with the standard airbox.
    Ed Levin
    Fulvia 1,6 HF

Downloads
    Uploads

Luke

Nice engine sound

Cheers

Tor

Experienced Lancista
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the advice and another cool vid to keep me going in the resto. Got the glass out over the weekend and started to strip the paint so hoping to get it resprayed by the new year to give me time to put all back together ready for the spring. Exhaust is rotted through so going back with something minimal will be the way I'll and I'll leave the air box as is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Racer View Post
    Luke

Nice engine sound

Cheers

Tor
    Thanks. Yes the fulvia gives me a huge grin every time I go out in it.
    "you get more smile per mile"

Good luck with the works on your car Cyborg, have a look at https://www.bielstein.com/ for exhaust bits. I thought that they are good value if your on a budget.
    series 1 1200 fulvia coupe rolling restoration
    series 1 1300 fulvia coupe rallye definitely in bits

Downloads
    Uploads

If you watch the video of the Italian hill climb 1216 you notice that the revcounter is always near the 7000rpm mark or above it. The noise is created by the revs and what is needed to get the engine to perform at these revs. My 1200Hf engine has all the mods needed to make this noise and more and it is costly. I cannot do this again today for the same money. You will need high compression, light parts, lots of fuel mixed with much more air and a well thought out scavenge. Loud is not the same as revs. If your car is standard i would not bother with deleting the centre box. The noise wil not be pleasant but boomy. It is better to invest in a sporty final box which emits a crispy sound. Small Italian engines should have a high pitched crispy exhaust note and not a low base boomy noise. My 50ct.

William

Thread Information