View RSS Feed

SCUBARUI

Restauring my Lancia Fulvia 1200

Rate this Entry
Back in Sunny Portugal it was decision time.

We removed the engine head and I didn't really like what I saw:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	13293 Cylinder #3 had some mayonnaise and the block top showed signs of combustion gas passing to the cooling system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	13294 This could also be seen on the head itself.

My engine had 76 mm diameter cylinders and 67 mm stroke. I decided to bore the cylinders out to 77.5 mm and to buy the 1300 crankshaft with 69.7 mm stroke. This would increase my engine volume from 1215 to 1315 cc.
The machine shop did a great job and they skimmed the surfaces properly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	816.7 KB 
ID:	13295 The piton on the right was the bad boy. Piston #3 had a substantial carbon deposit and, yes, there was some mayonnaise on it.
We had to find out what happened here. Someone may have slept on the job. It also had a broken compression ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	13296The 4-2 exhaust collector had tons of carbon and some miserable welding. It just had to go. This engine was… asphyxiated???

Time to order some parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	762.3 KB 
ID:	13297 This was just for starters.

The balance of the mechanical parts was inspected and found to be in surprisingly good condition.
Aside of the volumetric change of the engine, I also decided to install an electric gas pump and electronic ignition. The old parts will be rebuilt and packed. This should give me a substantially better ride.
I also decided to make a thorough electrical inspection and to clean all ground connections.

The cylinders are now at 77.5 mm and we skimmed the block top and bottom as well as the head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1200.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	13423

On the head, we just re-touched the valve seats for better flow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1191.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	13424

Intake and exhaust ports were cleaned up lightly polished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	13425
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	13426 New crank shaft is in place and things are coming together.

The engine is now assembled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1226.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	13427

We will re-cut some water ports for better flow through the head gasket.

Submit "Restauring my Lancia Fulvia 1200" to Digg Submit "Restauring my Lancia Fulvia 1200" to del.icio.us Submit "Restauring my Lancia Fulvia 1200" to StumbleUpon Submit "Restauring my Lancia Fulvia 1200" to Google

Updated 17th February 2018 at 11:38 AM by SCUBARUI

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments