View RSS Feed

Todd D.

Building a 1/20 scale D-50 #12

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone,
Here are some recent pics of the D-50 with all of its body panels sort of dry fitted in place.
I'm getting closer to putting color coats of paint on it but its not quite ready yet. I have to pick a nice dry warm day to paint it but I haven't seen many of them lately. Normally I just use Tamiya TS-8 "Italian red" straight out of the rattle can , but Ascari's D-50 was more maroon in color. Tamiya don't have that color so I have to decant red and maroon to a separate bottle, mix the right color and then air brush it on. That's a whole new way of doing things for me so I look forward to the challenge.
Otherwise I've been working on the 2 oil coolers that sit between the fuel tanks and the rear body. I'm also piecing together the photo etch spring clips that hold the engine cover in place.
On a different note......my Zagato is now running again. For the longest time I couldn't get it to run right but finally discovered that I had switched the #3 and #4 cyl injector leads. Once that was sorted I almost burned it to the ground because the cat converter was somehow plugged and reached "only" 600 degrees while the rest of the exhaust was around 175 degrees. Whatever it was ...its gone now and she runs better each time I start it.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171023_095437.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	12867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171023_095522.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	785.0 KB 
ID:	12866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171023_095548.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	714.0 KB 
ID:	12865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171023_095608.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	828.8 KB 
ID:	12864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171023_095533.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	12868  

Submit "Building a 1/20 scale D-50 #12" to Digg Submit "Building a 1/20 scale D-50 #12" to del.icio.us Submit "Building a 1/20 scale D-50 #12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Building a 1/20 scale D-50 #12" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Todd, you have my admiration, truly a masterpiece.
    Regarding panting, have you seen this? I have used it and it woks great

https://preval.com/diy-pro-products/preval-sprayer/
    Quote Originally Posted by Herby
    Todd, you have my admiration, truly a masterpiece.
    Regarding panting, have you seen this? I have used it and it woks great

https://preval.com/diy-pro-products/preval-sprayer/
    Hi Herby,
    Thanks for the compliment and the attachment. I have not seen that product in Canada but I will look for it,It could come in handy.
    I airbrushed the D-50 and was pretty satisfied with the results but I ended up 1000 wet sanding it down and will mix up more paint and hit it again in the next couple of days. Its always a challenge to get a good finish with an airbrush. The Tamiya cans are always perfectly mixed and the nozzle is very fine which helps. I always put the can in super hot water to heat up the paint, then paint outside on a hot windless day so the paint hardens quickly.
    So, do you miss the berlina? I see the adds for it being resold and it makes my heart ache. I really liked your car but have too many projects on the go.
    Hopefully it ends up where it will be looked after and driven.
    Take care Herby ....keep in touch,
    Todd
    Great work Todd! The D50 is such a cool racer, well ahead of it's time. And congratulations on getting the Zagato running proper again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo04
    Great work Todd! The D50 is such a cool racer, well ahead of it's time. And congratulations on getting the Zagato running proper again.
    Thanks Timo, I'll be posting more pics soon. The side tanks are proving to be a real bear to get right. Along with the Zagato I've had to un-seize my Mazda 3's rear brakes and re-shingle my roof ...so time has been precious.
    Cheers, Todd