View RSS Feed

Todd D.

Building a 1/20 scale Lancia D-50

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone,
I'm going to start a blog today about building a 1/20 scale model of a Lancia D-50. Its not just any model, its a multi media kit produced in Japan by Model Factory Hiro, arguably the best model manufacturer in the world today. On my last trip to Tokyo I decided to make the effort to visit the MFH factory in the suburb of Adachi-ku and was rewarded with incredible hospitality which included a full tour of the facility, lunch and a drive back to the train station in the owner's (Misao and Kyoko Hiro) Maserati. I had intended on buying the D-50 when I got there but was disappointed when it turned out that it was discontinued and out of stock. I had to buy something so I settled on a Ferrari Dino 156 sharknose . A week after I arrived home MFH emailed me to let me know that they had produced another D-50 just for me.....what could I say? When I explained that I had 6 real Lancias at home , Misao went into overdrive looking through their vast reference library looking for anything Lancia related . The D-50 file was very thick!
I have finished the Sharknose and a MFH Ferrari 312 T4 and they both took roughly 6 months to finish. Out of the box they are incredibly detailed but I try to go the extra mile and add anything that has been missed. Its going to be fun and I hope I'm up to the challenge!
I've always considered my Lancias as 1:1 scale models that came with lousy instructions ....so this should be a nice change.
Todd
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160911_151713911.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	12277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170629_205917789.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	12276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_19700114_034001965.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	947.1 KB 
ID:	12275  

Submit "Building a 1/20 scale Lancia D-50" to Digg Submit "Building a 1/20 scale Lancia D-50" to del.icio.us Submit "Building a 1/20 scale Lancia D-50" to StumbleUpon Submit "Building a 1/20 scale Lancia D-50" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Todd, that's fascinating, especially your story with Mr. Hiro. I wonder how this kit compares with the old Pocher kits. When I retired more than 22 years ago I built a Pocher Mercedes 540 K. Had many metal parts, but body was plastic. Engine had working internals and many other working parts Had 6 wire wheels, and each spoke had to be fitted individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herby
    Todd, that's fascinating, especially your story with Mr. Hiro. I wonder how this kit compares with the old Pocher kits. When I retired more than 22 years ago I built a Pocher Mercedes 540 K. Had many metal parts, but body was plastic. Engine had working internals and many other working parts Had 6 wire wheels, and each spoke had to be fitted individually.
    I've built one Pocher kit. An Alfa 8C 2300. Loved building it and even went the extra mile and built a working valve train to complement the pistons and crankshaft. Made the valves out of pins, the buckets out of copper pipe and the springs were from AFX slot cars. For the size of the Pocher kits, they could be alot more detailed and the quality of the plastic castings was pretty crude. In comparison, the MFH kits are far more accurate and the scale detail is amazing. I have a large magnifying lamp that allows me to see what I'm doing. I don't think I could do it otherwise. I'll post some pics of my Alfa and some other finished MFH kits.
    Take care,
    Todd