PDA

View Full Version : Italiancarparts.com?

ecohen2
4th August 2005, 08:24 AM
Has anyone ordered stuff from these people? I faxed an order in about a week ago and have not heard from them. They don't seem to respond to emails or phone messages.

Whats the best way to find out when and if an order has been shipped?

Thanks,
Ed

Will
4th August 2005, 01:59 PM
If you actually ever GET the stuff, I'll be pleasantly surprised. That outfit is the one that was previously "Italian Car" and "CND Enterprises", and is run by Charles DeGroat. Here's the old contact info I have:
phone: 503 655 9811 fax: 503 655 9581. I'm still waiting on ignition switches he said he could get over five years ago- they didn't accidentally ship them to your house, did they??
;)

ecohen2
4th August 2005, 02:51 PM
hahah, nope I haven't seen your parts yet...

Well, then I guess I won't feel bad about ordering the parts from someplace else.

I like how the message says all lines are currently busy, please leave a message.. The funny thing is that it always says that even at 2 am and always rolls over on the first ring.

Thanks,
Ed

SubGothius
4th August 2005, 11:55 PM
I've encountered that site a few times whilst Googling for Lancia parts or info; their prices made me go 8O to say the least (seeming to price Lancia parts up in Maserati or Ferrari territory), so I never bothered trying to buy anything from them.

By contrast, I have been well-pleased with Vick Autosports (http://vickauto.com/), for selection, price and philosophy alike; if I can get something from Vick, they've been my first choice. IMHO, we could all stand to have a reliable, knowledgeable, quality, reasonably-priced "one stop shop" for most/all things Beta/Scorpion in the US, and I would be glad to see Vick fill that niche market for us (as they do so well for later-model FIATs already); perhaps if we all patronized them more, we'd get more Lancia product and support from them... :?:

ecohen2
5th August 2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks, ill give them a call about some other parts I need...

I actually called International Auto Parts and got a clutch slave cylinder from them, I think. They said they had one for a Fiat x1/9 and that the part number is the same. Ill wait until I see it, but you are right about one thing, their price for the same part was considerably less than Italian auto parts...

Ed

SubGothius
5th August 2005, 03:09 PM
I actually called International Auto Parts [...] you are right about one thing, their price for the same part was considerably less than Italian auto parts......and Vick, in turn, is usually a bit cheaper for the same/equivalent parts than IAP (guess they gotta pay for those nice, glossy magazine-paper catalogs somehow, eh? ;) ). Vick doesn't seem to be in business primarily to make money; they're apparently in business merely to stay in business, that is, to continue providing a wide selection of quality replacement/upgrade parts at reasonable prices, plus service and advice, for their fellow enthusiasts of sub-exotic Italian cars. Vick seems to be the kind of parts supplier that you and I and guys like us would want to set up, because it was set up by guys just like us, who were sick'n'tired of what they were tolerating from "the other leading brands".

FWIW/IMHO, the best businesses or lines of work to be in are the ones where you start by asking yourself, "Why doesn't someone provide what I want?" then take that opportunity to ask yourself, "Why don't I figure out how to provide what I want, since others prolly want it too?" ;)

bjmarsh
5th August 2005, 08:42 PM
The X1/9 slave is the same as the scorp. Some units are cast iron some aluminum, depends on the source. They both work well as long as you bleed the system and purge the fluid every two years (also a very good practice w/ brakes, the front calipers are common to many Fiat products, the rears are unique to the Scorpion /Monte.

Get used to dealing with several vendors for mechanical parts. Inventory varies widely depending on supply. Nobody carries everything you will need.

Chad is the BEST for cosmetic / restoration parts. I think he deserves a medal for keeping so many of our cars on the road. Exchange rates and shipping make him a difficult choice for the more common mechanical parts, but you have to visit and support the the "monte hospital" if you are a true Lancisti. He always seems to have the "little fiddly bits" you will need but cannot find anywhere else.

Download Chris Obert's parts lists & "specials" They are searchable PDF docs. http://www.fiatplus.com/parts.htm

Both Vick's and IAP are reputable source and stand behind their products.
(Vick's are very friendly too).

There are other vendors out there but these are some of the most widely used. Be willing to shop around as prices can vary widely for essentially the same items depending on vendor, NOS part,repro, etc.

Get a shop manual (s)! Lancia for completness but not usefullness, Haynes for engine mechanical, an illustrated parts listing (you could build a car from one). Documentation is the best investment you will make. Learn from reading the docs (and this site) or ask others what Beta, X1/9 , 124 parts are common and you will be able to keep your car on the road for a long time. It's a very small and friendly community and long time Scorp owners are always willing to share info. Enjoy your ride!

Barry Marsh

ecohen2
6th August 2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks... I did pick up a copy of the shop manual on CD... Its great... Print out the pages you need, get them all greasy and throw them away...

I am learning quickly about finding the best parts source. The interesting thing is that a couple of these places have what I need but don't list it in the catalog. So I end up calling them. So far I haven't had anything that I could not find. Just a company that doesn't bother to tell me that they are not going to deliver..

Thanks again,
Ed

ecohen2
24th August 2005, 03:55 PM
Last night when I got home I had a package from Italiancarparts.com. Almost a month after I ordered it and 2 weeks after they told me that they were going to charge me 40% restocking fee, they shipped my clutch slave cylinder.

Long story short. While waiting for these people to respond, I bought and installed one from another shop. I now have an extra that I am willing to sell for 40% off of the normal price, plus shipping. I figure if I am going to lose 40% on the deal I might as well help someone else out.

Ed

Will
18th September 2005, 12:49 AM
One other quick note on clutch slaves: Besides iron and alloy, they also ship with and without pushrods, so if you need a pushrod, you need to MAKE SURE you are getting one with the slave. You can't get just the pushrod AFAIK, so that leaves you having to buy another cylinder.

AFAIK Bayless has the last of the rubber hose assemblies.

ecohen2
19th September 2005, 04:28 PM
One other quick note on clutch slaves: Besides iron and alloy, they also ship with and without pushrods, so if you need a pushrod, you need to MAKE SURE you are getting one with the slave. You can't get just the pushrod AFAIK, so that leaves you having to buy another cylinder.

Well I now have two both with pushrods... Still for sale...

Ed

DJ
20th September 2005, 10:08 AM

Pretty sure that Chad now has them available at the Monte Hospital, too.