PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifolds

JThw8
11th March 2004, 04:17 PM
Although Im a long way off from considering a major intake upgrade I was just curious.

Is there any difference in the intake manifold required for either dual IDFs or DCOEs between the scorpion and other Lancia/Fiat twin cams?

Just kind of wondering what to keep my eyes out for should something pop up cheap

Thanks

DJ
11th March 2004, 04:53 PM
The angle of the engine is different so you need a manifold for a Lancia engine.

JThw8
11th March 2004, 06:02 PM
thats what I suspected, but I figured I would confirm incase I was making things unnecessarily difficult

Geoff T
19th March 2004, 02:57 AM
IDF's won't work on a Montecarlo / Scorpion for two reasons:
First, they were designed for North - South engines, not transverse. You would probably suffer mixture problems going round corners. Ever seen any fitted to a transverse engine?
Second, they won't fit due to height under the hood. I doubt that you would ever be able to find a manifold set at the right angle anyway, short of making your own.
For driveability and practicality, twin 40 DCNF's are the way to go. They are still available new and manifolds specifically for the Scorp / Monte are available too.
40 / 45 DCOE's fit too, with manifolds also available, but you need to modify the gear linkage for clearance, and they are a bit of a pain to get at once fitted under the rear shelf.

Geoff.

S2 Monte

Will
19th March 2004, 08:17 AM
I believe there are several different manifolds for DCNF's, one specifically for the Monte which clears the dizzy and shift linkage due to an offset, and one for a Beta Coupe that doesn't. Right?
-Will

John Allen
19th March 2004, 03:45 PM
Geoff wrote:"Ever seen any fitted to a transverse engine? "

Yes, the X1/9 Prototype (I forgot the spelling) had an Abarth twincam with dual IDFs on it. There are many pictures around...

I also have a friend who has a manifold for an X1/9 SOHC engine that looks pretty efficient.

BTW, the float bowls on IDFs aren't the problem - as they are between the throats - they are just very wide and tall for most transverse setups.

-John Allen

badboyboogzy
30th June 2004, 06:06 PM
is it nit he case that dcoes are side draft and idf are down draft i could be wrong i own a bet with twin idfs from a fiat 124 coupe and with only a slight mod to the angle they work lovley i realy wanted dcnfs but could not find any anywhere after searching for more than a year gave up and went with fiat 8O

cthargiss
1st July 2004, 12:13 AM
Todd Fiebig has IDFs on his Scorpion. Manifold is from FIAT 125, with mount angle milled to match.

Tom McGaffigan
8th September 2004, 07:22 PM
Adrian Hyman in Napa, California has twin IDF's on his 2 liter Scorpion also. I have ridden in the car and it runs great. They do fit without cutting the firewall. :twisted:
Tom McGaffigan

junior
16th February 2005, 12:51 PM
I would like to know if possible from Todd Fiebig, or Adrian Hyman, or anybody else who has fitted IDF's to a scorpion or monte how they went on. Make of manifolds they used and If they had anyclearance problems, height or otherwise.

regards