PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

Jon
20th May 2003, 04:42 PM
When I had my much loved Integrale 16v I remember having to be really fussy about the oil I used. I know this was because there was a lot of heat soak into the valve adjacent to the turbo. But I would be really interested to know what people use/recommend for the old twin cam. My grale used to drink Motul 300V caster based fully synthetic.

Shant Fabricatorian
20th May 2003, 07:25 PM
G'day John,

Not sure if this is strictly relevant for your case but it might be helpful to some others...

My Beta runs Penrite oil, an Australian brand. The advantage of this (for Australian owners at least) is that the oil doesn't have to cope with massive extremes of temperature either way, thanks to the country's relatively stable climate, and it's therefore better at what it needs to do - in other words, it's not compromised by having to be engineered for extremes. Specifically my choice would be the Classic Light, for cars between 1950 and 1980, more info at www.penrite.com.au if anyone's interested.

As for which oil you should choose over in Blighty, it very much depends on whether you want to run synthetic or mineral oil. In all honesty I don't think there's any real need to run synthetic in a standard non-turbo twin-cam, but if you do prefer it I've heard good things about Agip's synthetic oil from a mate who runs an X1/9.

Cheers, and hope it's of help

Jon
7th June 2003, 10:33 AM
Hi,

Well I went for Motul 300V Competition 15W50 in the end, the same as I used to put in integrale.

Going by the dipstick I could only get 5 litres in, so I figured the dipstick was wrong or not even the original. So I filled up as per the hand book and put 6 litres in.

After the car warmed up and I put P to the M, a lot of black smoke came out of the exhaust so I stopped. Oil had collected on top of the inlet manifold and was dripping from the carb. I cleaned it all up did about 50 miles and now it seems fine. Obviously over filled, but I dont have a clue why 6 litres was too much and what level it is or should be now.

Cheers

Jon